02. BESIDES, I KNOW THE SHERIFF

⌠𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐⌡───────»⁑«───────

⌠𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐⌡
───────»⁑«───────

Charlie gasped for air as she sat up with a jolt.

She took a few calming breaths and then opened her eyes, frowning as she looked at her odd surroundings. Charlie was sitting in the middle of an asphalt road, high trees that seemed to go denser in the distance on each side of it, and the moon already high in the night sky, thousands of stars twinkling throughout it.

Charlie pulled herself to her feet, staggering slightly at the blood rush in her head. She tried to look around better, squinting her eyes, trying to see if she could make up anything else that might've given her a clue as to where she was. When she saw absolutely nothing, Charlie shook her head, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath. She noted though that she was still wearing the same clothes she had on the day she died, but instead of being ruffled, disheveled, and full of blood and dirt, they were once more cleaned.

After a while of looking up at the moon, expecting some sort of sign as to what to do, Charlie decided to tell the signs to fuck off and took an action of her own. She started to aimlessly walk through the road—randomly spinning in place as she did so—, having no idea where it would lead her, with no money, no documents, no nothing. Charlie figured that she was in some sort of afterlife since she had died and all, but something in her gut told her that it wasn't exactly the case—and if you're reading this story you probably know that isn't the case.

Half an hour had passed of her aimless walking and Charlie finally spotted an anomaly on the road. A few dozens of feet in front of her, she could make out some sort of sign, one she figured was to "Welcome" people into a town. As she approached it, Charlie squinted her eyes, trying to see in the dark, and she was able to make out the words written on the white sign:

Welcome to Mystic Falls
Virginia

"Joy," Charlie muttered sarcastically groaning slightly as she walked past the sign, "I die and wake up in fucking Virginia. This better not be my afterlife."

As Charlie continued walking again muttering curses under her breath at her bad luck—why couldn't she have woken up in the Bahamas or something?—, she could swear she had heard the name of the town before, it was so familiar. But at the moment, Charlie wasn't really in the mood to care about that particular detail. In all honesty, and I fully agree with her, Charlie just wanted to find someone who could maybe help her get something to eat. Charlie was starving, her stomach growling, and it sure didn't help the growing headache she was starting to have.

Again following her routine of randomly spinning around as she walked through the eery silent road, Charlie stopped dead in her tracks as she heard a rustling sound from beside her. She frowned slightly, not expecting anyone to actually be there, and like every stupid girl in horror movies she decided to follow the sound—I mean, what did she have to lose, really? She was already dead. . . .