‘I truly am sorry. I shouldn’t have been such an ass.’ This time, his eyes were filled with truth and his voice sounded sincere. I nodded my head at him as a smile took over my lips, no words coming out.

‘If I can do anything to help, don’t let my jack ass of a first impression make you hesitate to ask for help. I’ll gladly assist you however I can.’

‘Thanks,’ I said, a small laugh coming from my parted lips as my eyebrows sunk together as I thought about my Jaxon situation. Even though he claimed he felt this something too, I wondered if he truly did. He did just leave and abandon me on the beach by myself. ‘But honestly, I don’t think anyone can help me with this.’

‘Trust me, I’m more of use then you could fathom to imagine.’ His words made me snap my eyes to his. He looked so causal as he spoke, but I couldn’t help but feel his words had an underlying message to them. With that, he turned on his heel and walked into his bedroom where Bek was still in. I heard some mumbled words but through the door I couldn’t decipher them, not that it bothered me.

***

I lay awake on the couch, unable to fall asleep as the thin sheet draped over my body. Although I had borrowed a towel and showered in the community block, I had changed back into my dirty clothes, declining the offer of borrowing clothes from Bek and Josh. I couldn’t accept the offer knowing how little clothing most people had these days, they were already giving me a place to stay and food to eat and I couldn’t take their clothes as well. I felt uncomfortable and dirty as the tattered couch provided me with as much comfort I could possibly seek. The hot summer weather still held up even this late into the night as I tossed and turned in the heat. My mind was occupied by one though and one thought only; Jaxon.

Was he pleased by how he had left me to my own, was he hoping I stayed on the beach with no supplies and tried to reach civilization? Or did he leave for a valid reason to return and find me gone with no trace of us being there that afternoon apart from our foot prints that scattered the sand? I sighed and rolled onto my back, the pitch black surrounding me as I was left with only my thoughts.

Both Bek, Josh and I retired for the night quite early, around 10:00pm. We were all worn out from today’s events, Bek’s supply gathering, my events and Josh’s work, making us all want to sleep. I heard soft snores through the thin door, signaling someone being lucky enough to get the rest I craved. I however, could not fall asleep as well.

My head lolled to the side, looking in the direction of the door as I lazily spread out on the couch. A small orange light dimly lit the window above the door. I frowned, puzzled what it was from. I shrugged it off as a house near by having a lantern of some type lit outside. It wasn’t until I heard the crackling of fire that I rose from my bed a cautiously made my way towards the door, puzzled from what was happening.

Then a scream filled the air. One of pure horror that had me racing towards the front door. Shakily my hand undid the lock and I threw the door open and was immediately met with a harsh orange light illuminating the street, the smell of smoke littering the air felt like almost a punch to the face as I stepped backwards as a house from across from us was set in flames dancing all over the building. A family were huddled watching as other civilians watched, some watching in terror and some rushing with buckets of water to distinguish the deadly flames. Just as I stepped outside to help, an arm grabbed my and pulled me back in.

‘Stay in the house Olivia,’ Bek’s firm voice commanded and I nodded, not wanting to anger her as she rushed outside to help her neighbors. By now the flame had provided light for the whole house as I went back inside. I glanced into the bedroom to see what Josh was doing and stifled a gasp, my hand flying to my mouth as I saw him hurriedly dressing.