***

‘So you got lost?’ He questioned with a raised eyebrow, eyes studying me as I sat nervously on the couch. I felt stiff and awkward as he drilled me with questions, slightly sweating from the stress he was putting me under. It didn’t take a genius to know he didn’t fully believe my story.

‘Out here? There’s no villages around here for kilometers. Where did you say you’re from again?’ His blue eyes bored into mine as his thick eyebrows raised in question, intently watching me squirm as he drilled my with questions. I directed my gaze elsewhere, looking down at my feet clad socks, converses removed at the door.

‘Umm,’ I mumbled before Bek spoke over the top of me, saving me momentarily from his integration.

‘Josh, don’t be mean.’ Bek swiped at his arm with a scowl on her face as her boyfriend questioned me. ‘Don’t mind him, his not usually this much of a bastard.’ He told me while shooting him a dirty look.

‘Don’t worry, compared to the guy who I call a bastard, this is nothing.’ I attempted to make a joke, my mind still tracing back to Jaxon even though I hated the fact that it did so. I saw her frown slightly at my answer as Bek’s eyes darted down to my wrist. Upon being asked how I sustained the injury, I replied by saying I fell over while at the barn.

‘Forgive me, I’ve had a hard day at work. I’m very stressed about a current situation arising.’ Josh said with a small smile, one I could tell wasn’t very sincere as he looked at me strangely, but I accepted it anyways.

‘It’s all good.’ I stiffly nodded at him, my fingers playing with a loose stray at the bottom of my denim shorts. Small talk was made for the next few minutes as Bek prepared dinner for the three of us and I ended up telling Josh about my family and how my little brother Ben’s safety was important to me and how I would do anything to ensure he was okay. I never once let slip where I live. If Josh is from the government he would know something isn’t right with my village and I felt like he would make me answer his question to help the government.

‘So Olivia, what made you get lost?’ He questioned as casually as he didn’t let go of the question, blending it on with our conversation. The sound of metal cutlery banging against one another on the wooden counter top halted my answer as Bek’s hands slammed against the wooden counter top, chest rapidly rising and falling from her angry breaths.

‘Josh, a word.’ She spoke through gritted teeth before storming into what I presumed to be a bedroom. Josh sighed and stood up on both feet, looking down at me and gave a quick nod as he scurried after the angry woman. I was left sitting stiffly on the couch, feeling completely awkward.

‘What the hell is wrong with you?!’ I heard Bek express loudly through the thin door.

‘I’m sorry baby, I’m just stressed.’ I faintly heard Joel reply. I felt rude listening in but I couldn’t help it as I strained my ears from my seated sitting on the couch, directly opposite the door. The small distance from the room being so small didn’t make it very hard for me to hear.

‘I know, but you heard her before. She called someone a bastard and her arm is bandaged up, it can’t be a coincidence. Obviously we found her because something happened. Now stop drilling her with questions, there’s more to her story than she’s letting on, I know that too, but I feel like something bad has happened to her.’ She spoke softly, her voice filled with concern. I felt my heart warm a little as she spoke so kindly of me. I had only known her for such a short time but already we had warmed up to each other.

‘You’re right, you’re right.’ Joel said seriously. ‘Just like on everything else.’ I heard the fondness and the smile in his voice and I knew then I had to stop listening. I stood from the couch and walked to the small counter where the loose cutlery was scattered around the bench top and collected them, straightening them up. When I moved onto the plates, I hadn’t heard to door creak open and Josh’s voice startled me, causing me to jump on my spot.