135

Angelina was dumbfounded. She didn't expect to see this boy here!

"How are you here?" She asked, excitement was evident in her tone.

"His majesty the Emperor invited the top five students of the academy to attend his birthday celebration, which included me." Eric informed, clearly filled with pride and confidence as he told her his magnificent achievement.

Angelina's smile brightened hearing that. Then she noticed something. Eric seemed to have grown taller. Not only that, his originally cute puppy face has become more handsome. It's clear he's been doing very well in the academy.

"It seems the academy took care of you well." Angelina let out a soft laugh.

"Yes. But I didn't like the cakes there. They were so tasteless, I thought I had lost my sense of taste." Eric sighed. He was now taller than the young lady in front of him. He no longer looked like a starved tool like before.

"Well how was your time in the academy? Anything exciting? Have you made friends?" Angelina questioned with delight written on her face.

"Practicing and training my ability is much easier in the academy. They have prepared everything. I had fun. The academy is working with some students to develop a device that could prevent magic from affecting the user. It's still in the works though. As for friends, I'm afraid I have made none. The students there either talk too much or are too unapproachable. In fact, one of the students there, Len, is the strangest I've interacted with. He's always talking about how instead of entering the magic tower, he'll find a rich powerful master to personally work for." Eric answered.

"Oh, that's alright. You don't need friends!" Angelina felt pity and comforted.

"Yes I don't need them. I already have you, Lady Angelina." Eric nodded, expressionless as ever. But you could see a slight smile if you look carefully enough.

"Of course!" Angelina patted his shoulder and they hugged before she left to return to the Skyler estate for the last time.

As he watched the view of her back, he felt slightly embarrassed and ashamed. He thought as long as he becomes a respectable figure, he'll be able to be by her side forever. But it seems this silly dream of his is going farther and farther out of his reach. Sure he might become a powerful and well known magic user, but she'll be a princess. How could he compare?

He didn't care if she would ever view him in that way. He has long accepted the fact that the two of them would not be unsuitable in the matter of status. But as long as he could stand by her and not be abandoned, he'll be satisfied. He only wishes to not be left behind.

*********

"Do you not recognize me, big sister?" She whispered softly as she wiped the blood seeping out of her knees and smudged Evelina's white cheek with the bloody finger.

"An...Angelina?!" Evelina called, her voice shaking.

"Yay! You remembered me, sister!" Angelina clapped her hands and excitedly exclaimed. But then her expression turned cold once again and she pulled Evelina in for a hug.

"You probably didn't expect such a sudden family reunion, right? Evelina, do you feel guilty? After not only ruining my life, but also ending it."

"How...how do you know?" Evelina's pupils shrank as she tried to struggle free from Harper's arms.

"She told me. She was gracious enough to let me stay by her side after death." Harper paused before adding, "I've been watching. Watching everything. I know everything you did, Evelina. To me, to Lilith, and even to that Chase. It's unfortunate that none of us knew how capable you are in tricking people before. But that's alright. Because I'm no longer scared of you."