131

After finishing, she turned to lay her eyes upon the wonderful poem's writer and asked, "You wrote this? Is there a certain person you wrote this for?"

Angelina showed a slightly shy appearance as she answered, "Yes, actually. This poem is for my mother."

"My... You two must be close." The empress was touched and very delighted. This lady Angelina is very good! Of course, she had already felt indebted to Angelina since she had saved Elizabeth, but she now only felt more satisfied with Angelina. Not only is she talented and well mannered, she's very filial to her mother!

Angelina naturally knew the empress's thoughts. She couldn't help but feel accomplished in her heart. The emperor and empress prioritizes skills and filial piety over anything else.

"Well my mother is the only one I feel a bond with over the rest of my family. I don't get along with them that well." Angelina pitifully stated. Though she was putting up an act, she wasn't lying. She really does not like any other member of the Skyler family.

"Really? You all seem so close on the outside..." The empress frowned. She is well aware that there is no aristocratic family. Being part of the nobility, it is natural to hold secrets. But the Skyler family always appeared so harmonious and pure. It's a shame it's all but an act, just like all the other families.

"Well, I don't want to embarrass my family out in public." Angelina really wanted to laugh at herself. She's such a hypocrite, she just did.

"That's reasonable. Oh, I remember I heard that you were sick since young, is that right?" The empress asked.

"Yes, your majesty. I was a sickly and frail child thus I had to be sent away to the Vancelia empire to look for better treatment. I spent time stuck, bedridden but it wasn't so boring. I was given the book your majesty wrote about the joy of art and that was what got me interested in painting!" Angelina's clever tongue lied smoothly, she had prepared this line before.

"Really? Oh my, I never knew that silly book I wrote when I was younger would inspire such a talented child like you!" The empress laughed, incredibly pleased.

"Therefore I, ah... It's so shameless of me to ask but, would your majesty be willing to teach me? I-I'm still lacking in painting compared to your majesty so I want to learn!" Angelina pretended to be shy and fiddled with her fingers. From one who was unaware of her true thoughts, she would look just like a shy girl facing someone she deeply looked up to.

"Aiya! Of course! It would be my pleasure to teach someone so talented! I'm sure you'll surpass me soon!" The empress laughed. She had no reason to refuse. She loved sharing the wonders of art with others the and this Angelina is such a good child. It would be a shame to let such a young talent go and not let her reach her fullest abilities!

"Really? Thank you, your majesty! I'll not disappoint you!" Angelina stood up and bowed to the empress with clear delight and happiness in her eyes.

"Oh, sit down! Sit down! There's no need for that!" The empress laughed and gestured for Angelina to sit back down. They ate the afternoon meal peacefully. They chatted and would occasionally laugh. Only Alistair and the emperor remained silent, merely chuckling a few times.

************

Evelina paced back and forth her room while biting her lips, Lia was trembling in the farthest corner of the room. She didn't know what to do. Angelina now spends most of her time in the imperial palace, charming and currying favor with them. She has not gotten the chance to speak or scheme against her at all these few days!

After Rienne's birthday incident, Evelina didn't dare attend gatherings. Not only that, misfortunate events keep happening! The group of thugs she controlled had suddenly died in a fire that completely burned down their home! Evelina felt stuck. She had ideas, but she couldn't execute them! She thought she could try to use this time to gain the Casspan family's favor and Chase's affections but they're actually avoiding her! Chase didn't even bother with responding to her letters!