91

"Is that so..." Evelina mumbled to herself. She didn't expect for the Bailey family to adopt another. Should she make the her, her ally, or was she a threat? After some silent calculations, Evelina decided that she shouldn't decided unless she saw this new lady herself!

"Will we be attending the debut, father?" Alex asked. His face expressionless.

"Even if I wish to not, we must attend." the duke sighed.

"What's this lady's name father?" Evelina asked with a sweet tone. Her eyes blinked innocently.

"Hm. I believe her name is Harper." the duke answered as he sat down his glass of wine.

"Oh..." Evelina exclaimed and began to ponder.

******************

The day for the debut held by the Bailey eventually arrived. Angelina wore a lavish light pink gown and matching jewelry. Evelina wore a plain, yet beautiful gown. Her attire was much more humble than Angelina's.

When they all gathered in the lobby, Evelina shot Angelina a triumphant smile. But Angelina didn't care.

"Eve, you look beautiful." Alex patted Evelina's head gently. He smiled as he continued to praise his beloved sister. When it came for his youngest sister, he looked at her for a few seconds before scoffing. "Heh..."

'This dog...!' Angelina gritted her teeth angrily. He actually dared mock her in front of everyone! In her opinion, she looked a thousand times better than Evelina! He is clearly blind.

"Eve, Lina you both look splendid!" the duchess hugged her two daughters.

"Mother, Eve clearly looks the best. Don't compare Eve with 'her'..." Alex said as he frowned.

"Lex! Don't say such a thing! Lina is beautiful as well!" the duchess immediately defended her youngest daughter.

"Brother...your words will make sister sad..." Evelina too 'defended' Angelina. However, Evelina didn't, disagree with Alex's words. She never denied Angelina being 'ugly'.

"....." Angelina caught on quickly and deepened her frown. Evelina was poking at her ego.

Evelina turned to her sister and smiled. It appeared like a sympathetic smile, full of understanding. But she was simply provoking Angelina even more. As if it was fun for her.

Angelina curled her lips upward and smiled. "Elder sister is too kindhearted and virtues.."

"Don't say things you don't mean, Angelina Skyler." Alex interrupted. But Angelina's smile didn't change in the slightest bit. But on the inside, she was boiling with anger. She'll definetly get back at the two. But right now is not the time.

************************

"Congratulations, marquess and marchioness Bailey. We look forward to seeing this lady." the couple bowed respectfully and congratulated them.

"Thank you, baron. We are delighted to have you here to celebrate with us. Though she still has much to learn." marchioness Bailey nodded politely and forced out a smile.

Once the couple left their sight, the marchioness sighed and rubbed the space between her brows.

"Ease your heart, mother. I'm sure today's debut will play out smoothly." Christopher attempted to comfort his mother. He knew better than anyone else, how stressed and exhausted his mother is. He knew it was hard for her to accept a commoner as her daughter.

"It's easier said than done, son. She still doesn't understand many things. She still carries the air of a common girl. How could she learn to be a true aristocrat in merely 2 years? I'm afraid she will disgrace us..." the marchioness shut her eyes as she felt a headache coming. Harper was still unused to the proper rules and manners of an aristocrat.