Chapter 10: Arcade

Start from the beginning

If not, I could make an excuse about being sick or something. 

Annabeth's other friends came to the table, and the conversations shifted. I was still lost in thought, which caught Thalia's attention. 

"Annabeth, what are you thinking about?" Thalia asked. 

"No, nothing. I'm just thinking about the song. I don't really want to do the song that we decided earlier this week," I said cautiously. 

The trust was that I didn't know the song enough. 

"No worries, Annabeth, we can pick another song," Thalia expressed. Her eyes stayed on me for a while as I started eating lunch. 

Everyone else was busy socializing with each other, including me. Thalia, though, was quiet and gazing at me. 

"Thalia, you keep staring," I commented after a while. 

"She did that to your arm, didn't she?" Thalai asked softly. It was a silent conversation, which emphasized that Thalia was the only one that knew about Annabeth's personal life. 

"She came home drunk last night," I said honestly. 

I felt like Annabeth and Thalia didn't keep any secrets from each other. While Thalia was like a best friend, she was also like a sister. 

"How much longer Annabeth?" she asked softly. "You know that you could always just come and live at my place." 

"I know, Thals, but it's fine. My brothers are still at that home."

I wasn't sure what Annabeth would say, but that's what I would say as Percy Jackson. Besides, I had experience with abuse. Until, the family was ready to fight, nothing can be done. 

"Annabeth, I can see the turmoil in your eyes," Thalia expressed. 

"Helen's not a horrible person, Thalia, she's just-"

"horrible to you," Thalia finished. "She doesn't like that she got you as a daughter, Annabeth, when she married your dad, and that makes her awful to you." 

Thalia understood the situation very well. Also, Helen WAS different than Gabe. Gabe was sadistic and abusive because he was a genuinely bad man. Helen was different. She didn't like having a member of the family that she wasn't linked to. 

Not to mention, Annabeth's dad was never around to resolve that lack of connection. 

"Until things change, Helen will always be the same," I expressed. 

"Yeah, but how much longer can you wait for things to change. This isn't right," THalia said angrily, but quietly. 

She was right. It took years for things to change with Gabe. Also, that wasn't change. That was literally kicking him out of our lives once my mom and I had enough of him. 

That wasn't an option with Helen because there was potential to be better. After all, Helen wasn't awful to her sons at all. 

Also, Annabeth couldn't just get rid of Helen. 

"Everything's gonna be all right, Thalia. A change will come," I said. 

I wanted the conversation to end because it was bringing back too many dark memories. However, a sudden realization crept into my mind. 

Maybe, I could make a change come while I was still in Wise Girl's body. 

***

Recording a song was very different than I expected. I was also incredibly nervous about singing from Annabeth's body. 

She probably had a good voice, but I was Percy. I sucked at singing. 

I was heavily praying that even though we swaped bodies, our voices and singing abilities stayed the same. It would be the mental skills that had to stay focused. 

That applied to Annabeth, who was in my body, as well. She had to stay focused and intact while she was swimming because it was as much a mental game as it was a physical game. 

"All right, Annabeth, get in the booth," Leo exclaimed. 

Leo was setting all of the technology outside of the recording booth. I've never had a reason to be in the studio. It was very aesthetically pleasing though. 

"Also, very cool song choice," Thalia commented. 

I smiled as I walked into the small sound booth. I could see Leo setting stuff up through the large window in front of me. 

Thalia was plugging in the aux, which had the music to 'Arcade'.

I didn't know why, but I really liked the song. Somehow, I also connected with it, but I wasn't sure for what reasons. 

Or maybe, I didn't want to admit the reasons to myself. 

I shook off the nerves as I started to sing the song. I honestly didn't know how I was doing, but I managed to stay with the tune and timing. 

See, I had no problem with tunes, lyrics, and timing. I just had a bad singing voice, so it was fitting that Annabeth's singing voice was heavenly. 

As Leo replayed the recording, I was beyond impressed. 

"What doesn't she ever enter the talent show?" I blurted out. 

Leo and Thalia turned to me in surprise. I simply stared at them awkwardly. "Well, we tell you that all the time," Thalia exclaimed. 

"Does this mean you'll finally sign up?" Leo asked excitedly. 

Honestly, I wanted Annabeth to showcase her voice. However, I knew that this wasn't my decision to make.

"When is the talent show again?" I asked curiously. 

"In three weeks on Saturday," Leo answered. He seemed very excited at the prospect of me performing at the talent show. "I can't believe you're actually considering," he squeeled. 

I was seriously considering. Annabeth deserved to show herself and her voice. Besides, technically, I was in control of her actions. 

Maybe, just maybe, I could convince Annabeth. 

After all, I'd be the one doing the work since I was in her body. However, she'd have to deal with the aftermath: good or bad. 

I sighed as my attention turned back to the 'Arcade' recording.

The song was nice. I didn't know why I stayed with Rachel. There were many times when I felt like we weren't a proper fit. However, we were the stereotypical fit. I didn't really want to hurt her by breaking up. 

While we always had physical chemistry, that spark wasn't there. 

At least, I didn't feel any love. 

Regardless, I stayed with her for months now. Being with Rachel wasn't a losing game, necessarily, but it wasn't amazing either. 

I sighed again before packing up. Leo was waiting for the CD to finish copying, but I had to pick up the boys after their soccer practice today. Speaking of sports, I really hoped that Annabeth (ie my body) was handling swimming better today. 

"Thalia, the talent show, maybe," I commented. 

Both Leo and Thalia had supportive, yet excited smiles on their faces as I left. I was highly considering making Annabeth show her voice to the world. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chapter was a lot more chill. Regardless, Arcade is one of my favorite songs. I really hope that you all enjoyed this chapter. Stay tuned. 

Check out all my other stories if you haven't already.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE: READ + VOTE + SHARE + COMMENT + FOLLOW