So Far Away

The sunset came by quickly, turning the skies into rich marmalade along tangerine clouds.

"It's so cold!"

You heaved a sigh, silently agreeing with one of your classmates as you carried boxes from your department's booth for the event. Lifting your head up, you eyed the numerous festival pennons of red and white lined above you. The student festival had finally unfolded within the university, eliciting a calm prelude to winter and a long awaited academic break. Each college department had their own booth, mostly selling food or hosting a variety of games. One student was wearing a brown bear mascot, parading around and dancing with random people roaming the campus.

"[Y/N]!"

The atmosphere grew colder with the continuous descent of the sun. Standing outside the International Studies building, your eyebrows jumped at the sound of your name being called. You turned on your heel, eyes twinkling at the sight of a close friend, all bundled up in his cozy milk-chocolate-colored muffler.

"Tae!" you exclaimed, running towards him with a frivolous smile.

"What are you doing here? The concert is about to start!" Taehyung said in a rush, animatedly widening his eyes at the end of his sentence.

"I just helped in tidying up our booth." you responded nonchalantly, trying to slip your gloved hands past your small jean pockets for warmth.

A few classmates were still chattering away behind you, quickly bidding them goodbye as Taehyung started pulling you away by your forearm.

"Let's go!" He dramatically beckoned, briskly walking by your side, "Oh and, congratulations by the way!"

Your eyebrows furrowed in confusion with the art major giving you a boxy grin. Suddenly, the lamp posts simultaneously came to life, illuminating the university campus under the messy dark blue and grey colors of the sky.

"I heard about your class standing and I'm quite sure," Taehyung paused, turning to you, "...that you're at least one of the top 20 students in your year." he beamed with a proud smile.

"What? Where did you hear that from?" you questioned, feeling heat crawling over your cheeks.

"Hmm, you know I'm quite friendly!" he said, chuckling at the end of his sentence as he flashed you a playful smile.

Sometimes, your life in Seoul felt surreal despite the amount of work you accomplished. Studying immensely while working part-time weren't new things; but you realized, you weren't alone and seemingly invisible anymore in doing so— that was occasionally surreal to you.

Giggling softly, your tracks halted by the vast field and the assembled stage at the far end, "Thank you, Tae."

People were starting to crowd near the stage as the night continued to deepen with frigid winds. The concert was indeed about to begin; with numerous performances coming from the performing arts department and invited guest-artists.

"Taehyung! [Y/N]!"

Standing a few meters away from you, Namjoon waved enthusiastically before gesturing to Seokjin, Yoongi, and Jungkook. They were all snuggled in their long-sleeved outfits, conserving warmth amidst the growing winter.

The dim fairy lights behind you blurred in Jungkook's vision. To his demise, he still found the world stopping at the sight of your eyes glistening and your dulcet smile ever-s0 gracing your lips. He had long been forcing himself to move on from his feelings for you— even back when you were both children— that it brought nothing but immense pain in the dwellings of his chest. Nevertheless, he couldn't bring himself to look away from you.