Remembering Sunday (28,29)

Start from the beginning

“Did you get my letter?”

“No, I didn’t get a damn letter…”

“In the car, you acted like you had gotten my letter Dane,” I said.

“I swear I didn’t get a letter. Tell me why you were in the hospital for six months,” I wanted to run to him, wrap my arms around him, instead I just started laughing and tears started falling.

“Dane do you love me? I’ll tell you everything just…I need to know…”

“Yes Eve, I love you,”

“But you left…”

“Because I love you and I didn’t want you to miss out on your dream. Are you sick? Is it life threatening?” I crumbled to the floor laughing and crying.

“I was pregnant. I…gave birth to twins, they kept me in the hospital for most of the pregnancy and three or four weeks, before they were born I sent a letter to you. I wanted you there… to see you sons born,” I watched from the floor as it sunk in.

“My…sons?” I nodded.

“I didn’t want to tell you at first because I didn’t want to force you to come back to me, but then I needed you there. I wanted you there and I sent the letter. You would have come,” I said knowing the truth of my words.

“Why didn’t you call me?”

“Cause I’m stupid, cause I didn’t know how to tell you. This all sounded better in the letter,” my fit of giggles was over but I was still crying. I could tell Dane was pissed. “Do you want to meet them?”

“You bought my sons to his house?” I nodded. “Get their shit and yours…”

“No, she’s staying here and so are the kids. She promised me a week.” Ben said blocking Dane way again. Dane didn’t say anything; he pushed Ben back and out of the way and then walked over to me.

“Come with me,” he said he reached down and helped me stand up. “Or am I too late?” he finally noticed that I was standing there wrapped in a sheet. I tried to look past him, to see how Ben was reacting, but Dane moved to block my view. “No this is between me and you.”

“I don’t think it would ever be too late for you,” Ben said in a sad voice. “Let her take a shower, while she’s doing that you can help me pack the boys things,” he walked past Dane and I, both of us too stunned to do anything but stare after him. “What are you waiting for?”

Chapter 29

We followed Ben down the hall to the spare bedroom, I quickly moved into his room and grabbed a robe, slipping it on and tying it about my waist then rushed back into the hallway. I watched as Dane stopped frozen at the door. It was almost like he couldn’t believe it was happening. All at once I saw him rebuild his resolve. He took a few quick steps to the nearest crib and looked down. I saw this look go across his face; it was like getting what you want for Christmas and staying up past your bedtime for the first time.

“What’s his name?” he whispered. I moved to his side and looked down. His hand rested on the baby’s head.

“That’s Ethan Arthur Sloan,” I got a little choked up when I said the last name. “I hope you don’t mind but I thought they should have your name. I didn’t really want my step father’s name to go any farther than me.”

“That’s…I think it’s perfect,” he said looking at me, something smoldering in his eyes that I couldn’t quite discern.

“Do you want to hold him?” I asked looking away.