20

Nyx's pov

We had been out for a few hours alerting villages. I was too far away from Reiner or Bertholdt to make a link so I couldn't really direct them on whatcwe should be doing.

"Alright, let's head to the south." Nanaba said.

"What's the point, last I heard there weren't any villages out here." Yimir said.

"Yimir is right, the grounds this far out were deemed too hard to cultivate into farmland so they never ended up putting a village out here. It would be too hard to supply one with food." I said.

"We've raised the alarm for everyone in the region, now we pinpoint the breech. The idea is to ride along the wall from the west until we do." Nanaba said.

"Seriously? You know Krista, Nyx and I don't have our battle gear, right? What are we supposed to do about titans? The South will be crawling with 'em. We can't defend ourselves, you oughtta just serve is up on a platter. Why not have us withdraw from the front?" Yimir said.

"Negative, when we find where they're coming in we'll need someone to relay it to hq. I know you're scared but like it or not that's part of the job." Nanaba said.

"I came into this being told there was a chance I'd be eaten. I wasn't told I'd be getting sent on a suicide mission where my death was guaranteed." I said.

Time skip

It was dark by the time we finished searching the wall. It was pitch black and all we had were torches. We ended up running into Connie's group without finding a breach. I already knew that there wasn't one, Bertholdt hadn't been able to go anywhere to kick the walls down in the first place.

"So, you followed the wall here too I take it?" Gelgar asked.

"That's right, I assume you found the breach then?" Nanaba replied. "We didn't see any irregularities along the western route. Surely you must have seen something in the east."

"No, the wall's perfectly in tact." Gelgar said.

"Maybe we missed it because of the dark." I said.

"Not likely, there's no way way to miss a hole big enough for titans to get through." A guy said.

"I suggest we have another pass." Gelgar said.

"That goes without saying, trouble is the horses are on the verge of collapse and so are we. If only we had more light." Nanaba said.

As if the world could hear us speak, the clouds unveiled the moon and gave us just a bit more light.

"What's that?" The guy asked.

"An old castle." Gelgar said as he looked at it.

Time skip

We ended up setting up in the old castle. We were only going to be staying for the night and then following the wall back along to hq to look for a breach.

I was lying on the floor with my head on Bertholdt's lap. He just let me, occasionally glancing down to see if I was still awake.

"I'm so tired but I can't sleep." I muttered.

"You can have my sweater if that would help." Bertholdt said but I shook my head.

"I think it's more the circumstances that are making it hard." I said.

"Connie's snoring is pretty loud." Bertholdt said making me giggle.

"I wonder whats taking Yimir and Reiner so long." I said.

"Everyone wake up! Get to the tower immediately!" A girl yelled.

I was quick to bolt to my feet, hurrying over to Connie and krista who were asleep. I shook them both to wake them.

"Hey! What was that for?" Connie whined.

"Hurry up to the tower! Something is wrong." I said.

That brought them both to attention. Bertholdt and Yimir were already half way up the stairs, Reiner stood at the bottom of them waiting for us. When we reached the top of the tower I gasped as I saw all the approaching titans. This had to have been Zeke.

"How can they move? This shouldn't be happening! The sun went down hours ago!" Gelgar said.

"What's going on?" Krista asked.

"Hey guys, what the hell is that?! It's gotta be a titan but have you ever seen one that big!? Look at it! It's more like some kind of beast!" Connie said as he pointed out a 17 meter, fur covered titan aimlessly wandering nearby.

I recognised him instantly, he was our warchief, Zeke. Obviously we had been taking too long and Marley sent him to speed things up.

I immediately linked up with him, leaning back onto Reiner.

'Zeke! What's going on?' I thought.

'You three focus on staying alive, let me handle this.' Zeke replied before cutting off the link.

Zeke was the only shifter that could cut me off from their mind. He was also the only one I couldn't forcibly take control of. He was somehow completely immune to the command titan's abilities.

"Rookies, stay where you are! We've got this. Let the o.d.m gear do what it was designed for." Nanaba said. "Attack!"

The four armed soldiers jumped down from the tower on their gear ready to take down the titans. It was a large swarm though, they'd run out of blades and gas eventually and then we'd be dead. I couldn't even control Zeke's titans if things started going south.