⇨ THE END PART 1

Start from the beginning

"Thank you, for everything. Seriously. Thank you both." Although short and simple, they knew how much I genuinely meant it, and they understood how I couldn't possibly describe in words my unfaltering gratitude.

"Knock-knock. Who's ready to get this little shit hitched?!" Tony's boisterous voice bellowed from the doorway with a clap of his hands and a beaming smile practically stretching from cheek-to-cheek sending crows feet to his eyes becoming glassy at the sight of me; god I loved that one of a kind smile that made me feel as though I had a father again. "Fuck." He muttered in a low, trembling voice trying to stifle back the salty tears threatening to spill from his eyes, his hand hastily wiping his face.

"Well don't make me fucking cry, you asshole." I playfully jested with a narrowed stare and furrowed brows towards him as if to scold his sign of affection, our own way of expressing our emotions towards one another, which seems demented to an outsider looking in but just worked for us.

"You ready?" He smiled warmly reaching out his hand in my direction.

I held my breath as I rounded the corner, my arm delicately intertwined with Tony's, and my eyes caught the crowd standing at attention as the music beat and tempo changed at our arrival; almost resembling soldiers greeting their drill Sargent. Everything blurred out of focus around me when my wandering eyes met his intently watching my every move with a look I'd never seen before. It wasn't like before. His stare was different this time, it was almost as if he was laying eyes on me for the very first time, overwhelmed by my presence, and his eyes set ablaze with a fiery passion that sent pulsating shivers down my spine.

"Holy shit." I gulped hard on the knot lingering in my throat as my grip on Tony's arm began to shake, my fingers coiling tighter around his suit's material, at the realization of what I was doing in this moment, it wasn't a fever dream, no, but a reality I couldn't believe was mine.

"You've got this." He whispered softly as a smile crept across his lips curling into a smile as a genuine sense of purpose struck his heart, he felt as though he was the father he never had in this sentimental moment.

"And who gives away this bride?" The minister spoke up as the music gradually faded into the background and my eyes locked onto the man that made my heart swell and my gut swarm with butterflies.

"I do." Tony responded warmly as I clasped my dress with my available hand, my other handing off the simple bouquet of florals and greenery, to bustle the elegant dress's material so I wouldn't trip as I stepped onto the slightly raised alter; Tony's firm grip ensuring that I didn't embarrass myself in front of everyone.

And then my hand felt his warm, delicate touch that sent a burning tinge to my cheeks as we turned our backs to the crowd.

"You're breathtaking." He whispered under his breath after trying to muster up a phrase more elaborate, but his own enthrallment got the better of him and the simple phrase was all he could conjure up on such short notice; turning his profile to face mine meeting his with a beaming grin. Continuing to lift my hand, held securely in his as if he was never going to let go anytime in the foreseeable future, to his lips placing a delicate kiss atop my skin feeling of a scorching fire at his touch.

"I love you, James." I tenderly whispered back as our eyes locked in sync, skin crawling with desire, heart pounding in our ears, an insatiable thirst nagging our every thought, disregarding the world around us and devouring the sensation of feeling like we were the only two people in the world.

"James? You there?" The man in front of us jested cracking a smile at his oblivion to his repeated words, earning an eruption of laughter from the crowd seemingly catching him by surprise like a deer in headlights.

"Uh, what was that last part?" He choked out with flickering eyes, recomposing his posture and clearing his throat after the heat of embarrassment spread gradually across his cheeks; but he didn't truly care. He would take being embarrassed if it meant being laughed at for Kate.

"Do you take Kate Marie Wilder to be your wife?" He repeated the traditional phrase once more, hoping it to be the last time he asked.

"Oh that, right, yes. Definitely yes. I do." The soldier answered the objectively serious, life altering question with a fresh, yet expected, sense of humor and a smile that indicated just how foolishly in love he was; head over heels as most would say.

"You dork." I spoke quietly, after exhaling a breathy laugh and shaking my head softly, at a volume just loud enough for his attentive ears to catch but low enough to remain unknown to the crowd. His nose scrunching and shaking from side to side at my humorous remark while eagerly closing the few inches between the two of us; paying no mind to the same question I was now being asked. "I do, I do." I muttered quickly before taking his clean-shaved face into my hands, his arms snaking around my body molding to his touch, and our lips meeting in a passionate kiss binding us together as one, forever and always. Shedding the old Kate Wilder, the broken, cold, calloused, untrusting, unforgiving, and stepping into the new person I was becoming by his side: loving, passionate, warm, whole.

Next thing I knew we were on the dance floor, lighting dimmed, only twinkling lights illuminating the outdoor space filled with soft laughter, attentive eyes, affectionate whispers, and the fragrant smell of champagne and florals refreshing my senses. It was just like old times back on the rickety dock, what seemed to be a lifetime ago, swaying in sync to Etta James like we were now. The same adoration glowing in his eyes when I lifted my chin upwards so my gaze met his, the same warmth from his touch my skin craved so, the same feeling of belonging now magnified with the knowledge of our never having to be parted again. This was paradise. He was paradise.

"Do you know that I fucking love you, Mrs. Barnes?" Bucky used any excuse to have the sound of his last name, now belonging to the love of his life, roll of his tongue with a new sense of meaning, the start of a new beginning, a new chapter of his life, the best chapter by far; the feeling of being able to send an instantaneous smile to my lips with those two simple words never growing old.

"Hmmm, maybe you should remind me Mr. Barnes." I responded doe-eyed with a devilish smirk twisting my crimson lips upward, my brows lifting as if to suggest actions my lips didn't, and bringing my face close enough to feel his breath fanning across my skin. Loving the sensation that followed being completely and utterly intoxicated by the lack of distance between us.

"Oh I intend to. All night long Mrs. Barnes."

And just like that it's the start of the end....

THEY ARE HITCHED BITCHES!! MR AND MRS BARNES ENDGAME😈❤️

Maybe some spice to close up this story next chapter??  🤪😈

Anyways, prepare for my sappy end credits next chapter bc I'm feeling vv sentimental and emotional that my very first story is coming to an end OKAY LOVE YALL

Xx -Maddy ❤️

Adoration | B. Barnes On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara