⇨ CONFESSION

"You sure she's alright?" Fury asked both Steve and Tony after registering the details of the story, his analytical mind already trying to form a rational explanation with the fragments of information given

"I don't know, but if anyone can help her it's us." Tony concluded lifting his gaze, previously focused on frivolous details on the floor beneath, to meet the dark man with a look of confidence in his honey eyes.

"Listen, if this happens I have to know, do not try to keep secrets from me, she's a liability to us now." Fury added with a serious expression etched across his features, cocking his brow intentionally in Stark's direction.

• • •

The entire flight home I sat complacent with a blank expression, not letting a single word escape my lips. The reason being that I was absolutely mortified that the man sitting next to me was about to find out the variables to my complicated equation. My mind was far beyond the confines of the jet hanger, yet my body sat idle feeling completely numb to my surroundings.

Maybe I shouldn't? Maybe I'll just say I can't? But I can't do that again... Shit...

Coming in contact with the landing pad roughly jostled the entire jet, along with the occupants inside, snapping me out of my anxiety induced trance as I caught everyone's eyes worriedly fixated on me. However, at a loss for words, both the team and I stayed silent and exited the air craft; the only sound breaking the eery silence being our own footsteps striding across the steel flooring beneath. As the team somberly followed one another into the house, my arm felt the sudden presence of warmth, which my mind quickly identified as Bucky gently tugging my arm; gesturing towards the secluded dock with a soft expression washing his features.

"Kate and I are gonna take a walk, we'll be in later." Bucky remarked as everyone shot widened eyes to one another, I could nearly feel their attentive gazes burning my skin.

"Y-yea." I muttered under my breath, deeply inhaling trying to regulate my rigid breathing, anxiously chewing the flesh of my bottom lip.

Each stride forward felt forced, its almost as if my body was almost screaming at my to retreat, yet I continued to suppress the internal shrieks begging me to succumb to their pleads; rendering me completely oblivious to my surroundings.

"You're safe here with me, just take your time." Bucky comforted which briefly jostled me back into reality, the first thing my body registering being the feeling of his hand resting on top of mine, in a consoling act, as we both sat at the edge of the dock. Meanwhile, I could hardly focus my overwhelming thoughts, terrified of the words that were about to spill from my lips, maybe he wouldn't want me if he knew?

"Just promise me that you won't look at me differently." I timidly pleaded lifting my heavy eyes to meet his, all of me wanting to simply disappear.

"Kate, I could never. I promise." He reassured sitting in closer proximity to me, nearly glued to my side. His heart ached at the terrified expression painted across my face and the fearful tone engulfing my words.