46 | ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴜᴘᴘᴇᴛᴇᴇʀ

* . °•☆|•°∵ ∵°•|☆•° . *
100 years ago.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY HYUNG!"

Beomgyu woke up to those 3 words shouted by his one and only brother as he got up groggily. His gaze was met by Tae Wook's whose eyes were sparkling with excitement, almost as if he was happier than the birthday boy himself.

"Thank you. And as the birthday person here, I ask you to leave me as I'm heading back to sleep," he grumped, about to pull the sheets over his head before Tae Wook stopped him. "No can do. It's your special day, and I already have the whole day planned out just so that you will always remember it."

Sitting up at once, Beomgyu looked up to his brother, feeling intrigued. "What do you have in store for me?"

"That's for me to know and for you to find out," his brother replied, sticking his tongue out. "But first, let's start with a gift," Tae Wook said, pulling a box the size of his palm out. Curious, Beomgyu reached for it, unravelling the ribbons as he opened it; inside, there was a charm bracelet, only with a single charm.

"A charm bracelet?" He asked, holding it up as he examined it. The only charm on it was the shape of a heart with a keyhole engraved in the middle.

"Ta-da!" Tae Wook extended his hand to reveal a matching charm bracelet on his own wrist. "Every time we have a special memory together, we will get another charm to add to our bracelet. That's why there's only one charm there for now; because we will start collecting memories together, starting with today!"

Beomgyu could only laugh at his brother's cute and thoughtful gift as he wore the bracelet. "It's unique; I like it," he smiled as Tae Wook beamed back. "Is mom and dad busy with work? Or have they already left the house―"

"They left a few minutes ago. They told me to wish you a happy birthday on their behalf," Tae Wook replied.

"Oh...." The smile on Beomgyu's face instantly vanished, replaced by a wave of sadness. He knew his parents weren't going to celebrate his birthday this year either, but he'd still hope they would.

"Hey―but no parents means we have the whole day to ourselves!" Tae Wook said, trying to lighten the mood. "It's going to be a fun day, promise!"

"Alright, alright, I trust you."

"Breakfast is downstairs. After you're done eating, you should go wash up, and then our day begins. I'm going to go to my room now to pick out an outfit. See you later!" Tae Wook got up from Beomgyu's bed as he danced out of the room, leaving his older brother chuckling at his cute antics.

After having breakfast and getting dressed, Beomgyu headed downstairs, expecting Tae Wook to be there too. What's taking him so long? He thought to himself, about to go back upstairs and call for him until he was stopped by the sound of the doorbell.

He went up to open the door only to see no one. There was only a box with the label "happy birthday" written on it.

How strange, he thought to himself, picking it up. Beomgyu brought it back inside the house as he opened it.

A wine bottle was inside. The content of the gift came off as no surprise; it was a tradition for vampires to drink red wine on their birthdays. What confused him the most was that there was no card or mention of who sent it.

Not thinking about it too much, Beomgyu poured himself a glass as he took a sip. Its velvety texture slithering down his throat, clouding his mind with bliss as he felt himself drinking more...and more...until a pain strike at his head. Beomgyu sat the glass down, coughing, reaching for water to soothe the pain in his head.