45 | ғᴀᴛᴇ

* . °•☆|•°∵ ∵°•|☆•° . *

Followed by the knock on his door, Ji Woo entered the dimly lit room.

"What is it?" Hee Suk asked.

"It seems like I've found the new lead to our Soobin case," she smiled as Hee Suk looked up, feeling intrigued. Moseying towards his desk, she dumped a brown file on it as he flipped through it.

"A close friend of Yeonjun's," Ji Woo quickly said, "might know something about Soobin if we bother asking."

"Choi Beomgyu," he readout, the name displayed on the front page along with a photograph.

"Unemployed and constantly on the go. No living siblings with both of his parents deceased," she added. "I think he would be a key part of our agenda. Shall I meet up with him?" Ji Woo offered.

"There will be no need for that," Hee Suk replied, setting the file away.

"Do you know him?"

"We've met once," Hee Suk said, "though, it seems like a play of fate since we will be meeting again like this."

He got up from his seat, leaving Ji Woo feeling confused by what he had just said. "And so that means...?"

"Fate." Hee Suk managed a smile as he left the room.

In amidst the bustling city atmosphere, Beomgyu sat by the bench near the park. The clock on his phone tolled 4 pm, and Yeonjun still was nowhere to be seen.

Where is he? Beomgyu thought to himself.

Just then, his phone buzzed with a notification as he gave it a read.

Yeonjun: Guess what? I'm not coming at all. Instead, you're going to spend the whole day with Taehyun. Thank me later :)

He had to reread the message a couple of times before letting it fully register in his brain. At times like this, he didn't know whether to feel grateful for his cousin's supposed "kind" gesture or annoyed by the fact that he was butting his nose into other people's business.

A mix of elation and worry washed over him as he let out a sigh. At first, he thought it'd be best to take things slow with Taehyun or ignore him altogether. But it seemed like Yeonjun had other plans for them.

Yeonjun, Yeonjun, Beomgyu sighed to himself. First, the art exhibition and now a hangout with Taehyun. He tried to act annoyed by Yeonjun's impulse to "help" him, but deep down, he appreciated it.

It made him feel connected to his late brother somehow.

"Getting close to a human now, are we?" A voice spoke in front of him.

Jolting out of his trance at once, Beomgyu looked up to see a man standing in front of him. He didn't recognise him, yet, Beomgyu swears he has seen him somewhere before. There was something about that man that made him feel uneasy.

He was definitely dressed a little too formally on a hot weekend afternoon. But that wasn't a justified reason for the trepidation bubbling inside of him. His lips are pulled into a sly smile. His hawkish eyes piercing into his own as chills instantly sent down his spine.

"Or should I say, your late brother?"

"Who are you?" Beomgyu asked, the fear inside of him doubling. Whoever this man was, it's evident that whatever he approached him for was no good.

"Hee Suk," the stranger now with a name spoke as he extended a hand.

"I don't randomly make acquaintances with people who know about my dead brother," Beomgyu spat. It angered him to know that a stranger knew about his brother yet dared to talk about it so casually.

He withdrew his hand, clearly taken aback by Beomgyu's bluntness.

"If you're here to talk about my late brother, then I'm leaving," he said, getting up at once―

"Choi Beomgyu... living a life filled with regrets and guilt... his life going downhill after accidentally killing his beloved brother. But was it an accident? No one believed him. How pitiful," the man sulked from behind.

Beomgyu stopped dead in his tracks before turning around. "Get out of my sight," Beomgyu breathed. "Now."

They were now face-to-face as Beomgyu could get a clearer view of Hee Suk's face. The more he looked, the more he felt as if he knew this man before.

"Gladly. But first, you're going to have to tell me everything about Yeonjun and his friend, Choi Soobin," he laughed softly, holding a knife out, just showing it subtle enough for only Beomgyu to see it.

He gripped the handle tightly, most of the blade hidden behind his blazer as only the tip could be seen. Sweat trickled down the side of Beomgyu's face as he stood there, not knowing what to do.

Desperate, Beomgyu looked around, passersby not sparing a glance at his direction, unaware of what was happening.

"Try to scream, and I'll stab you first," Hee Suk said lowly, bringing the knife to Beomgyu's lower abdomen. He could feel its tip now. "We're both in a tight position here. So it's either you tell me what I want to know, or you die."

"And why should I do that?" Beomgyu said, trying to act calm. Think Choi Beomgyu, THINK.

"Do you want to know the truth behind your brother's incident or not?" Hee Suk hissed into his ear as Beomgyu felt his muscles go slack. "After all, I was the one behind it all."

A horrible feeling resembling anger and despair sat at the bottom of his stomach. "W-why did you do that?" He asked, feeling tears brimming, his head pounding―

"For the same reason, I'm doing all I can to make sure I get my hands on Soobin."

Feeling his head spin, Beomgyu couldn't fully understand what he had meant by that. All he could think about was how to get out of this situation and run away.

"Tell me," Hee Suk pressed, his grip on the knife firming.

"Over my dead body," Beomgyu flared.

"Oh well, that's too bad then," he replied, eyes gleaming with amusement, and Beomgyu couldn't tell why.

Before he could even react, Hee Suk vanished from his view.

Shit, where did he go? Beomgyu thought to himself worriedly as he looked around the area―

Then, in the corner of his eye, he spotted the man, running. Behind him was a familiar boy.

Beomgyu froze in his spot. Hee Suk ran far too quickly for anyone to notice the glint of his knife under the sun as he sprinted towards his victim before stabbing him in the abdomen. The boy curled up on the floor, stunned, with blood flowing out of his body.

That boy was Taehyun.