16 | ʟɪɢʜᴛs ᴏᴜᴛ

* . °•☆|•°∵ ∵°•|☆•° . *

Choi Soobin.

It was almost as if she had heard that name somewhere before.

But where?

Aeri was so deep in thought that the sudden sound of the door creaking open startled her.

"Oh, it's you," she sighed, her eyes falling upon Ji Woo. "Any updates on the victims?"

"Contacted the HQ in Suwon, and they had already run a blood test. None of them had what we are looking for," the latter replied dismissively. "But at least they had put their blood to good use—won't be needing to take the extra effort to extract blood from more humans."

"Perhaps what we are looking for is right here," Aeri suggested.

"If I had thought of that, then I would've already started sending people out to search for possible holders of The Blood of Rebirth," Ji Woo answered brusquely.

"It's worth a try."

"Fine," she surrendered, walking towards the door.

"But wait—" Aeri said just before Ji Woo left the room "—we should try an alternative method. Perhaps we can just put them out and extract a bit of their blood. The last thing we want is another headline put on the news and causing the police to breathe down our necks."

"Got it," Ji Woo replied.

Nothing but the sounds of his pen scratching against the papers and the constant sound of pages being flipped filled the empty library. It was after dark, Soobin all alone in the school's library.

The librarian had already left some time ago, so Soobin took that as a hint that he, too, will be needing to head back soon—after making notes for one more chapter.

It wasn't like him for Soobin to be opting to study at the library at night rather than in the comfort of his home. But perhaps it was the urge to be in an environment where he could fully focus on studying that made him be here.

Amidst his focus, Soobin spun around. He could've sworn he heard something from behind—

Thud. Thud. Thud—

Soobin's heart dropped. It must be a student wanting to use the library as well, he told himself, convinced not to let his fears get the best of him as he turned back to his work.

A moment of silence lapsed with every footstep. No one would take the extra effort to walk that slowly—

THUD, THUD THUD—

They were gradually getting louder behind him, like an ambush about to take place.

His body went rigid—his hands no longer daring to write, his mind only focusing on the sound, his eyes fixed upon the blank piece of paper laid in front of him, fear completely taking over his senses.

The footsteps stopped.

A hand reached for his shoulder—

Soobin let out a scream—

"SOOBIN- DID I SCARE YOU- IT'S ME!" A familiar voice resounded.

He turned around, opening his eyes only to see Yeonjun's face staring right back at his. A mix of all sorts of emotions flooded in; relief, embarrassment, comfort.

"I'm sorry for scaring you," Yeonjun apologised, his gaze softening as he took a seat by Soobin's table.

His presence, the sound of his voice—Soobin instantly felt his pounding heart slowing down. He returned Yeonjun's gaze, appreciating the moment of silence that fell upon them as time freezes.