"You got that right," he replied, rolling his eyes.

Wrapping my arm around his shoulders, I bumped my weight against him as we walked to the exit, finally finished with the day. "Of all the temporary teammates I've had, and I've had two including you, you're definitely up there for my favourite. I mean, as long as you don't fuck up my qualifying like Esteban did, you're set for finishing ahead."

Stof drew in a breath through his teeth, the action making an almost hissing noise. "Don't tempt me like that," he joked, "but if I want any chance of making this seat a permanent thing in the future, I need to be nice to the Mercedes team. I'll be nice to you on-track, pipsqueak - that's it."

"You've got to play nice with the number one driver, Waffle. I have more pull in the team than you think, and I do love to make things difficult for you at every opportunity. Besides, Lewis might not even retire yet and, until he does, I doubt there'll be a Mercedes seat available. Maybe keep your options open further down the field? I heard Günther wants new drivers for the next season."

"At Haas?" I couldn't help but laugh as Stoffel screwed up his face. "Nah, I'd rather just stick where I am. I'm sure another team in Formula E will take me on when Mercedes pulls out. I could always sweet talk Susie."

"Huh, yet another seat I could have influence over." If I had despised Stof instead of being his reluctant friend and he was after a seat, I don't doubt that I could slip Susie some bad things about him that would make her consider other options. Luckily, I'm not that mean. "Either way, you'll have a seat next season for sure. If not, you're welcome to be my cheerleader for my next season."

"Do I get an outfit?"

"Of course. Crop top and skirt that shows the bottom of your ass cheeks?"

Stoffel nodded his head in approval. "Sounds like something I could pull off, but my raw sex-appeal might be distracting for some of the guys on the grid. You know how it is since you've slept with, like, the entire Formula One population." His comment earned him a smack across the back of his head, only for him to just laugh about it and continue to tease me about my previous taste in men all the way back to the hotel (it was within walking distance). I thought I was going to be doing all of the teasing, but he didn't let me get a word in edge-ways in-between his comments about my exes, driving errors, and anything he could point out. At least he made me laugh and I could take a joke.

As it was Stof's last weekend with Mercedes for the foreseeable future, we decided to get dinner away from the hotel after dropping a swift change of outfit. They were limited choices being away from the main cities, but we were able to find somewhere decent with healthy enough food to appease our trainers. Since there were quite a few fans who were staying in the area for the Grid Prix, we had a few come up to us with well-wishes for the weekend ahead and wanting autographs. Mercedes being a German team and all meant that we had a lot of support this weekend, which was always a bonus and motivator.

As I signed the white material of the final fan, she looked up at me and tilted her head to the side. She appeared older than me, but then again I am rubbish at estimating someone's age. "How are you feeling?"

"How am I feeling?" I repeated the question, caught off guard. "Uh, I'm fine, thank you." I knew I should've left it at that, but something inside of me was desperate for some reasoning for the odd question. "Why'd you ask?"

The fan shrugged. "You've been acting a little different the past few weeks. You're barely on social media anymore, and in interviews you just seem... different. I don't know what it is but I hope you feel better soon."

"I-" What? What could I possibly say to that? My stomach was doing uncomfortable turns and I was regretting the rather large mouthful of food I had eaten before the fan had approached us. "I'm all good, thank you. Nothing exciting has really been happening in my life at the moment, and I guess I can appear off when I'm asked the same five questions week in and week out." I forced a smile of reassurance. "I hope you enjoy the rest of the race weekend, and thank you for your support."