Chapter 93

Zeke fixed his eyes on me narrowing them a bit. Jake took my hand and began pulling me away from the hole in the ground. I could hear Zeke shout in the background. "You're not getting away!" Looking back, Alex went in for an attack while his attention was on us leaving Zeke wide open. He sliced through his chest causing him to grit his teeth.

Averting my eyes forward again, I watched as Jake ran in front of me. Just as I was about to say something, my ankle was grabbed by what felt like a hand and I fell to the ground. The instant I hit the ground, I was instantly pulled back to the opening in the ground. Falling in, I screamed as I took a hold of the edge. Jake came running after me and took a hold of my wrists. "Hang on." Jake said quickly pulling me up.

The hand around my ankle pulled down even harder causing me to slip from Jake's hands. I screamed as Jake barely managed to take a hold of my hand again. This time, he was hanging more off the edge, almost ready to fall in with me.

"ALEX!" I cried out desperately with the tears streaming down my face. My arm began aching, and I felt myself slipping from Jake's grasp.

"Dammit..." I could hear him mutter under his breath. My leg was pulled even harder and my hand completely slipped from Jake's. He shouted out reaching even deeper for my hand, but I was falling to fast. I reached for the wall and my hand got caught on a piece of wire sticking out. I wrapped my hands tightly around it trying to hold myself up in place. It began burning and I screamed out even louder.

The hand suddenly disappeared from my ankle, and I was left hanging in a dark deep pit. My hands ached more and more with each second, and I could just feel it slowly slipping from my grasp. My attempts to pull myself up all ended in failure. "Serine!" Jake called out once, twice, three times. I was so traumatized I couldn't even respond. Shutting my eyes, the tears pushed through even more.

Right now all that was on my mind was Alex. He was always there to save me, here for me since the beginning...until now. The worst part is, I don't even know why. When he showed up here, he talked as if I meant nothing to him. It was as if he..

Slipping from the wire, I began falling once again. More screams escaped me as the air pushed up against my back. Is this the end? The end for me? I shut my eyes tightly just hoping, praying...

My body came to a sudden standstill and I felt myself raising to the sky rather than falling to the ground. I tempted to open my eyes, but I couldn't bring myself to. I was afraid of what I'd see.

I was laid on my back and my head was slowly brought down to the ground. My body wouldn't stop trembling. There were voices sounding in my ears, but I couldn't understand a word of what they said. I started mumbling Alex's name to myself until my voice cracked. A pair of lips were placed against mine. Just before I could push mine back against them, they were slowly pulled away.

A drop of water fell on my cheek, and I knew it couldn't have been from the tears I've cried. Finally forcing my eyes open, I saw Alex hovering over me. That drop on my cheek came from the tears that filled his own eyes. "A-Alex..." I stuttered reaching my arm up. Is this some kind of illusion or dream I'm seeing? I can't tell.

He took a hold my hand and kissed the back of it. "I'm sorry Serine...I thought I could-"

"I understand now." Zeke's voice cut of Alex's and I realized none of this could be a dream.

"How are you still alive?" Alex turned his body back in his direction. I slowly sat up, and Jake came from behind to give me support.

Zeke laughed but was interrupted by several nasty coughs. "That last attack of yours was rushed. Too bad for you, I realized your little trick."

"Trick..?" I whispered under my breath, and Alex stood to his feet. "Alex, what is he-"

"You really went full demon mode just now, didn't you? Burying your humanly emotions by calling out that demon nature of yours." Coughing again, he finished. "Am I right?"