Chapter 10

I was dragged inside with my wrist beginning to burst. It started going numb from the strength of his grasp. I would try to plant my feet, but he just continued to drag me with him. "Alex, stop! You're hurting me!" He had no reaction, continuing down the hall.

The first bell rang and he stopped suddenly causing me to bump into him. He finally released my wrist and walked off without a word. I rubbed my wrist pushing my lips together. What has gotten into him? I felt things starting to take a turn for the worst.

I began walking the other way as if we were traveling different paths. Going after him crossed my mind, but...what would I even say to him? Is it really the best to just let him go and blow off some steam? What should I do?

Standing at the door of my first class, I looked left and right. Alex was no where in sight. Clenching my fists, I stared blankly into the classroom. How can I just be standing around thinking about this? Biting my lip, I ran down the hallways in search for Alex trying to avoid bumping into people. Still, I was unsure if this was the right thing, but I just couldn't leave him alone. I had to find out what was wrong.

**

Running up and down each hallway, I still was unable to find Alex. I came to a stop to catch my breath. Resting my hands on my knees, I inhaled and exhaled deeply. The beating of my heart spread throughout my body.

Just before I could catch my breath again, I was grabbed from behind giving me a mini heart attack. A hand clasped over my mouth just as I was about to scream. I got pulled into a dark room, so pitch black I couldn't see a thing.

I was released as I heard Alex's voice. "Don't scream."

My rapid breathing continued. I was relieved to find out it was just him, but I still felt traumatized. Once I caught my breath, I whispered loud enough for him to hear. "Why did you run off like that?"

"Because, those two weren't human." Alex revealed to me. "I didn't notice them at first, but when I looked into that girl's eyes, I recognized the demon, laughing inside of her body."

My voice trembled. "Do you know them?"

I couldn't see his reactions, but I could tell he wasn't fond of them just by the tone of his voice. "Yes. Believe me, those two may have seemed innocent on the outside, but it was just an act to get me to explode."

"What do you mean by that?"

"If I hadn't noticed her when I did, they would've made sure I exceeded my limits and shown my true self. I'm betting Zander was the one who put them up to this."

Zander. Every time I heard his name now, I only felt terror. Even in my images I was afraid of that man, and with a name to match the face, it only made it more frightening. "So, what's going to happen now?"

"Things are more complicated now." The sound of his teeth rubbing together only made my skin crawl. Alex wrapped his arms around me, and the next second, there was light. My eyes instantly shut from the sudden brightness. Slowly opening them back up, I noticed we were standing out in the front of the school. "Come on." He grabbed my hand and started pulling me away.

"Wait, where are we-" I tripped running into him when he came to a complete stop.

Alex was frozen in place. I could hear him curse under his breath. "Dammit, I was too late..."

"My, my, Julia. Look what we have here. A shepherd and his pet." A woman's voice sounded in front of us. Peeking over Alex's shoulder, I saw two people standing in front of us. The same two girls from this morning.

"You're so troublesome, Alex." The other girl, Julia spoke up. She was the one who was dressed more girly.

His hand squeezed mine. I winced a bit from the increasing grip.