Chapter Forty-Five

Pain. Everything was painful. The explosion shouldn't have hurt that much, but because she was so close to it, the loud and deafening sound attacked her main weakness. Her acute hearing. That it became a domino effect throughout her body. She lost consciousness the moment her eardrums pop, which was a small fortune since she didn't feel the excruciating pain of her burning flesh. But now, that she was awake, Rebecca could feel it.

Opening her eyes, the first thing that Rebecca saw were the bright lights, she closed her eyes as the glare blinded her. Maybe she should add migraine to the list of what she was feeling at the moment, and the timed beeping sound didn't help as she came to. She breathed through her nose and took note of the smell of disinfectants or antiseptics – it was a hospital, she concluded. If she was in a hospital, then that meant the annoying beeping sound could be a heart monitor. Slowly opening her eyes, Rebecca took her time to adjust to the lighting of the room, and when she finally opened them, the first thing she saw was the sight of someone bent beside her bed, using their arms as a pillow of some sort as they slept by her legs. They had dark hair and wore a hoodie that still had a tag on.

"It's either you stole that hoodie and forgot to remove the tag or you were stupid enough that you forgot to remove it after buying it." She couldn't help but make the remark even if her voice was hoarse and her throat dry. The sound of someone speaking had the man jump from his sleep, and to Rebecca's surprise, it was Mark.

"You're awake," Mark got up from his seat and went to her side, his chair toppled over. He carefully reached out and brushed his fingers on her cheek.

"W-What are you doing here? This is still San Francisco, right?" Rebecca asked.

"Yeah, you're still in San Francisco. I flew here four days ago," Mark pushed a button on her bed to help her sit up, he took a glass of water from the bedside and helped her drink. He was doing well like he's done things before.

"Flew here? Why? What's going on? Where's Bucky, Sam, Jimmy? What happened to the..." Rebecca was about to get up but Mark had her settled down on the bed.

"Calm down. Sargent Barnes and Cap just went to get something to eat. I gave them the time off since they've been here day and night. And Jimmy Woo – Agent Woo is fine, he got a few minor injuries and he was discharged yesterday, but he promised to come to see you once you're awake. No one died in the bombing as well, a couple is still in critical care, some injured but no one died.

She sighed in relief. It seems that Mark knew exactly what she was about to ask and gave her the information as soon as he could. Now that those worries were answered, she finally grasped that Mark was there with her.

"How did you get here? How did you know where I was?" She asked.

Mark sat down on the side of her bed. "Sargent Barnes called me, he told me that you guys needed help, but I already planned on coming here after I saw the news."

"Why does everything hurt?" Rebecca wondered.

Mark frowned; his eyes fell to her hand but it looked like his gaze was far from where she was. "Connors was a suicide bomber. He somehow managed to hide it inside him... You were closest to the blast – burned your back. They managed to remove the debris, the pellets, the glass – it will scar but they said that with your healing it might not."

"Well... I guess no more bikinis, huh," Rebecca joked.

Mark carefully leaned down and placed a light kiss on her lips. "You're alive, and that's what matters. I love you, Becc."

The sound of the door opening caught their attention. A sudden relief came to Rebecca as she saw Bucky and Sam unharmed from the blast with just a few minor scratches, while Woo had his arm on a sling. As Bucky went to see how Rebecca was a nurse came in to check on her, after she was told that the burns were already healed and that she would be able to leave tomorrow, Rebecca immediately asked Woo and the others about what happened after the explosion.