Chapter Twenty-Eight

Mark wasn't sure if Rebecca was keeping her identity a secret, it has been a dilemma of his. She wasn't exactly hiding her identity, when he did his research on Bucky Barnes the other night, one of the first names that were considered related to the topic – aside from Steve Rogers – was Rebecca Kuroki. Rebecca Kuroki, as he researched, was a HYDRA assassin, much like the Winter Soldier, she was supposed to be the Winter Soldier's replacement if he could no longer perform the tasks that HYDRA needed him to do, but then HYDRA fell. No one really knew who Rebecca Kuroki was, no one even knew she existed until the bombing of the UN in Vienna, and the only reason people found out about her was because of her association with Bucky Barnes.

He read in the news that during the five years of the Snap, Rebecca Kuroki was pardoned for her crimes by the government, and she helped the Avengers with battling Thanos – along with Barnes, later on. And that was all he read about her. There were no other details about her on the Internet, the rest were just her being mentioned in articles about Bucky Barnes. Now that he knew who his neighbor was, he had a good feeling what the jobs she's been doing were, and he highly doubted that it involved analyzing numbers like Oliver guessed she does. But even though he knew of her complicated background, he couldn't tell his mother nor Oliver; and they continue to let her look after his little brother whenever he and his mother couldn't.

For the past couple of days, Oliver has been in and out of Rebecca's apartment, he tried telling his mother to just find a babysitter for his brother but Oliver insisted that he much preferred Rebecca's company than a stranger's. He had to agree that it would be best to have someone who Oliver was comfortable with to look after him, but they can't always depend on her to do that, especially knowing that her job might come up all of a sudden. Between choosing to save the world and babysitting his kid brother, he highly doubted she would choose the latter. Since her first babysitting though, Rebecca hasn't been leaving for her jobs, she was always in her apartment, and if not, she was spending the day with Bucky Barnes – taking his to therapy, as Oliver said. And who would have thought he would have a nice neighbor who is actually an assassin – he wasn't sure if she was still an assassin.

Every time Oliver would head over to Rebecca's place, he would bring a couple of his movies and games, he wasn't entirely sure what they would do the whole day, but one time, when he knocked on the door, he caught them in the middle of watching Mission: Impossible movies that Oliver brought over. They finished the movie – all three of them – and he noticed how Rebecca was analyzing the scenes and the strategies of the people, he wanted to believe that behind that stoic face was her judging the movie on how inaccurate it was to actual spy work. The other times, he would see them simply playing Oliver's music in her portable speaker, cooking in the kitchen while playing some board game.

Mark came home a little after sunset from work, he went straight to Rebecca's apartment. He knocked on the door and was greeted by Rebecca, and based on the music being played in the background, they weren't listening to Oliver's playlist, but rather to Rebecca's since he's never heard his brother listening to Marvin Gaye.

"Come in, we're in the middle of a game," Rebecca told him and then went back to the counter where Oliver was sitting with a game of Battleship on the surface. Rebecca went back to her place and made a guess on where Oliver's battleship was.

"Hit!" Oliver groaned.

Rebecca smirked, "Told ya, I was good."

Oliver rolled his eyes. "Mark, help me out!"

"Sure," Mark walked up to the counter and stood beside his brother, though his eyes weren't on the game, they were at Rebecca. Since the first time he came to her apartment, he noticed that she always wore long-sleeved shirts and started wearing pants, even when in her own apartment. Must be to hide her scars, he thought. Then he saw her right ear, she was wearing a lot of earrings or piercings, he wasn't sure what they were called.