Just a Breakfast

Los Angeles - 12:01 pm

Josh's P.O.V

Right after we left my room, Rachel pulled me through the hallways and together we headed for the stairs. I think most of our friendship has been summed up in one image: She pulling me as she runs with her blond hair hitting my face and me being dragged all the way along with no choice. The higher up the steps we went, the stronger the smell of breakfast became. We called it breakfast instead of lunch because we always ate toast, bacon, omelets, fried eggs and sometimes hamburgers. So it doesn't make sense to call it lunch if there's only breakfast food on the table.

Rachel was wearing a dark red T-shirt with a sleeve and a print that said the words "Rock 'n Scroll." She was also wearing a slightly torn and faded denim skirt, which highlighted her tattoo, and was barefoot. In addition, obviously, the blonde also wore her precious and inseparable blue feather earring.

I was wearing a dark blue T-shirt, also with a sleeve, and a print of the United States on the front. I remember when I bought it two days ago, Rachel thought the print was Captain America's shield. Max agreed too and I started to think the same after a while.

I also wore my black jeans (yes, that's right, jeans) and was also barefoot. I was wearing jeans because last night we had dinner at an Italian restaurant and got home super tired. Soon after, I entered my room dying of exhaustion and threw myself on the bed without changing my clothes, except for the shirt I took off.

>> Upstairs >>

When we went up the stairs, we came across an immense clarity coming through the balcony glass. Today was just another one of those typical Los Angeles days: sunny weather, no sign of rain, medium or high winds and that 75,2°F or 77°F heat. Sometimes the day dawned cloudy with a pleasant cold accompanied by a rain that lasted all afternoon, but today that was not the case.

As we passed through the living room and the room where the TV is, we arrived in the huge kitchen, still holding hands. The first noise we heard was something being fried in a skillet. A strong, yummy hamburger smell went through our noses, and with that, our stomachs growled even more.

We also spotted Max, sitting in the chair at a large table near the sink, reading an electronic device magazine in full concentration. She was probably thinking about getting a new camera since hers was a bit worn out and because we have money now. A lot of money.

That was her thing. She didn't take her eyes off the magazine's content for a second and her eyes didn't even blink. However, all her focus was gone the moment she saw us arrive and put the magazine aside.

Chloe was the one on the stove frying those delicious hamburgers in a reddish aluminum skillet. Even though Rachel told me I wouldn't believe it when I saw who was making breakfast, I knew it was her. I didn't doubt that Chloe knew how to do all these things masterfully. Since her mom is a waitress, I imagine she must have taught her one thing or another in case she was on her own. And even though Chloe wasn't that close to her in some cases, it seems her mother has prepared her well for the future. Or maybe it could just be her natural gift. I can't say.

Max: - Hey, Josh! Good morning.

Josh: - Hey, Max. Good morning.

Max: - Did you sleep well?

Josh: - To tell the truth, not much.

Max: - What happened?

Josh: - Nothing. I think I just lay down too fast and it took me a while to get to sleep.

Max: - Hm... It took me a while to fall asleep too. It's just that I was still stuffed with that huge Ravioli we ordered yesterday.

Rachel: - It took me a while too. But it was delicious.