A Message from Beyond

Motel - 06:57 am

Chloe's P.O.V

Incredible as it may seem, I woke up earlier than Max. And that was really weird, because I'm the one who sleeps the most.

And of course, I wouldn't waste time packing. We all know that Max is better at this than I am. The only thing I'm good at doing, as far as I know, is fixing cars. Just that and nothing more.

Then I got up from the bed, still staggering, and went to the bathroom to take a shower. As fast as I could, of course. That bathroom sucks.

>> Sometime later >>

After taking my precious shower, I took an outfit that I found in the suitcase and got dressed in the bathroom.

Leaving the bathroom, I went to the balcony and sat above the guardrail that was there.

With the pack of cigarettes in hand, I pulled out one and lit it.

Chloe's thought: So this is what it feels like to live dangerously? Interesting...

???: - Why don't you come out of the balcony, my dear? You're too young to play dying.

I quickly looked back, looking for the person who said this, and came across someone familiar sitting next to me.

Chloe: - Pfff... And who are you to tell me what to do? You don't even exist. Not anymore.

That someone familiar was none other than my own dad. An imaginary dad, of course.

William: - What are you saying, darling? Of course I exist. I'm real.

Chloe: - You, real? I think not.

William: - I'm real to you, Chloe. But I can be different. I know everything about you.

Chloe: - Do you?

William: - Of course. I know your daily life, what you like to do, your thoughts, everything. By the way, I know what you're thinking right now.

I pulled out some of the cigarette smoke and let it out through the air, letting it fly freely through the wind that blew at me.

William: - You know, dear... It's not wrong to think too much. People say that if you overdo it, you could end up doing something you regret. But they are wrong.

With that, I kept looking ahead, just watching the horizon. I was still a little sleepy.

William: - You choose what you want to do. You're the authoress of your own destiny. Don't be scared if, for some reason, you regret it later. Every choice has its consequence. This is the natural order of things.

And then, I started to think about what my dad told me. Or should I say, what my own troubled mind told me.

Then I looked to the side and saw that he was gone.

Chloe's thought: Dammit, dad! Why do you always do that? You suddenly appear, talks to me, makes me thoughtful and then disappears with some question or enigmatic answer made especially for me to be confused! It's amazing how I can hate and love you at the same time, even after your death!

Finally, I pulled some more smoke out of my cigarette and tossed it far away from the balcony. As a breeze of cold wind passed through my blue hair, I continued to watch the horizon.

Max's P.O.V

I woke up with a cold, chilling wind coming straight from the balcony door. With that, I sat on the bed, still with the cover over my legs, and stretched.

As soon as I got out of bed, I regretted it.

Max's thought: Holy shit! What a fucking cold floor!

Then, I went back to bed and sat down again. When I put on my shoes, I got up again this time with a foot protection.

As soon as I went to the bathroom door, I was stopped again by the cold wind coming from that balcony. And that's when I noticed that Chloe was awake.

Max: - Chloe? - I said approaching the balcony. - What are you doing there? Why didn't you wake me up like I asked you to?

Chloe: - Hey, Super-Max. - She said turning around and coming down from the guardrail. - Today is a beautiful day to not ask questions, don't you think?

Max: - I'm serious, Chloe. Why didn't you wake me up? I have to pack! I thought we had agreed that if one of us woke up first than the other-

Chloe: - Relax, Max! There's still time to do whatever you want to do. Take advantage of the morning breeze and come sunbathe on the balcony with me.

Max: - Chloe, there's no sun. On the contrary, it's really cold! How can you handle being out there?

Chloe: - It was just a way of talking, hippie! You get used to figures of speech...

Then Chloe moved a little closer to the room.

Chloe: - Price coming! Get out of the way!

After that, I moved to the side and waited for Chloe to enter the room. With that, she ran and jumped from the balcony to the bed.

Chloe: - There! Happy?

Max: - Very happy. - I said while closing the balcony glass door.

Chloe: - Wow, Max... Looks like you woke up in a bad mood today. What happened in that bed?

Max: - Nothing. It's just a damn headache, no need to worry.

Chloe: - Hm... Do you know what this is called?

Max: - Migraine?

Chloe: - No. Lack of sex! You need a good fuck to brighten your day and awaken your "inner rainbow". I think that's how you say it...

Max: - Ew, Chloe!

Chloe: - Pfffffff... Hahahahah! Relax, Mad-Max. I'm just kidding.

With that, I crossed my arms and looked at Chloe with a sleepy face.

Chloe: - Or maybe not. I think you really need this.

Max: - Who the hell says "awaken your inner rainbow"?

Chloe: - To tell the truth, I don't even know where it came from.

Then Chloe lay on the bed with her belly up and both hands under her head.

Max: - Ok, I'm going to take a shower. Don't do anything stupid or do anything you would normally do. - I said while taking a towel out of the suitcase.

Chloe: - You said it, Super-Max. - She smiled. - I'll be here.