Chapter 27

*One week Later*

"I don't understand what we are waiting for?" Elias says, passing the office, "Why don't we just take down Amanda and Thomas right now?"

"Because we still haven't finished Amanda's case yet. I asked Frank to get the hidden files on him, so YOU can take him down yourself," I reply from my seat. 

Elias finally takes a seat, "I feel the more time we stay silent, the more time it gives them to figure everything out. What if Kindle accidentally spills everything we have been working for on accident?"

"She wouldn't. She wants revenge just as much as we do. Her husband not only cheated on her with multiple women but with her own sister. Do you really think she would be that stupid to run her mouth?"

He doesn't answer.
I turn to see he has his face in his hands, one leg shaking.

"Everything will work out," I say softly, "They will all get what they deserve, justly,"

His hands run through his dark and outgrown hair, "What if we make them suffer... unjustly?" he turns to me, that manic expression on his face, "Kindle said she wanted her husband to suffer. I mean, he beat her behind closed doors while adultering. I think he should suffer the consequences of doing such things to a woman who bore his children. I think-" he stops when he realizes he is raising his voice. He takes a couple of breaths. They seem routine, rehearsed as if it is a strategic way of calming himself. "I think... he should feel her pain," he says quietly.

"No," I say, "I think the best way to handle this is to strip Thomas of everything he once thought he had. His money, his children, his authority over his wife... take his meaning of life away from him,"

"You are willing to let him go unharmed?" 

"I am willing to let him go with his ego deflated. Don't you think that is enough? There is no reason to inflict any more harm. There is no reason to kill him or anything of that sort," I make sure to choose my words carefully so I don't sound like I am accusing him again. 

He squints at me, "You're serious? The girl who shot and killed three men because of one man... the girl who shot and killed a man to save her friend... YOU are telling ME not to kill this lame ass?"

I swallow hard.
He is implying that I am a hypocrite.

I half-smile at him and stare into his eyes, "I can't stop you. There is really no point in going back and forth about this anymore, is there? Kindle told you that she wanted him to suffer. Fine, go ahead. You talk to her and ask her what form of justice or revenge she wants to take on her husband. Just don't let me find out," I turn back to my computer, and skim over an email. "And I don't appreciate you bringing up my past. It's a bit unfair that I know nothing about you so I can't use anything against you. But it seems you don't care about fairness when you are in this state of mind,"

another email pops up on the screen.

"What do you mean by that? What do you mean by 'this state of mind'?" he asks.

"You seem so tense and on edge these days. I can't understand what your obsession with violence is..." I know I should stop talking right now. I should stop letting my pride get the best of me. But he started it first. He didn't have to go that far into my past. He started it. I'm only finishing it, "I can't imagine why you promised your mother never to be violent again. I wonder how she would feel if she knew her son was begging me to harm someone who has done nothing wrong to HIM?"

"Tempest..."

"But I guess since you broke your promise once, you wouldn't mind breaking it again. Don't worry, I can keep a secret. But it only proves that promises mean nothing to you,"