chapter 39

Toni's pov

It was quite driving back to Lucy's, we reached the top of her lane when an idea popped in my head, I turn to her seeing her stare out the window, I turn back to the wheel wrapping my hands around the wheel, I breath in and drive off turning the opposite way, I notice in the corner of my eye Lucy sitting up, "my house is that way" she says pointing behind us, I look to her and smile, "I know" I turn back and carry on driving, it took about 30 minutes we came to the same bit of woods I brought her the first time, "why are we here?" she asks, I turn to her smiling "come on" I say as I get out the car, I shut my door and walk to the boot to get the blanket out, I wait as Lucy gets out of the car and walks up to me, I shut the boot and extend my hand for hers, she takes my hand with a smile and I lead her into the woods, to the same clearing I let go of her hand, placing the blanket on the floor, I turn to see Lucy standing there twiddling with her fingers, "come on" I say as I sit down on the blanket, I pat the area next to me, she walks over hesitantly looking down at the ground.

I reach for her hand intertwining our fingers slowly, she sits close to me and we sit in comfortable silence, after a while I was the first to speak, "so, uhm, I'm guessing your wondering why I'm acting weird..." I say, she turns and faces me with a smile on her face, "so, Ellie and James probably told you this already, but..." I start to explain but I feel my hands becoming clammy, I look down at my hands whipping them on my trousers, "well before every game I get really, really, really nervous..." I feel her hand on mine, she squeezes it tightly, "... and I shut people out, and I go into my head because I go through this, thing erm... it's hard to explain, but I'm going to try..." I look up seeing her staring down, "it's not because I'm coming out to everyone tomorrow, yes it might be putting some pressure on me but it's not because of that not at all" I place my hand on her cheek pulling her up to face me, "I love you, and I want to do this, I do this every first game this has nothing to do with you or what I have planned for tomorrow, it's the fact I'm the captain and it's my first game as captain" she starts to smile.

"you love me..." she says leaning forward, I lean forward with her "you know I do..." we attach our lips together, moving in a sequence we knew so well, we broke apart just as my phone rings, I look down to see Ellie is ringing me, I answer the call "what's up bitch" I say she shouts back "hey hoe where are you, me and James are waiting and I believe Brett's just turned up... yep its Brett" I looked to Lucy she smiles at me "we are on our way, just got to get Tricia then we will be there" I hang up the phone grabbing Lucy's hand we get up and pick everything else up and run to the car, I throw the blanket into the back seats as I jumped in, I waited for Lucy to get in and then we drove off.

It was a nice and peaceful drive back to the house, I parked on the road and got out to get my sister, "I'll be 20 minutes" I notice the parking space was full of cars, I recognised one being my aunties car, oh god please don't be a party, I walk into the house hearing the laughter coming from the garden I walk towards the kitchen I hear mum talking to her sister, she notices me "hey sweetie your home late, didn't you get our texts" I look to my phone and see all the texts and missed calls from my parents and sister, "no sorry my phones been in the car, I was with Lucy she's actually in the car, I'm just here to pick up Tricia" I say I saw mums face dip, "why where are you guys going?" I walk into the kitchen closer to mum, "it's the night before the first game, you know what I and the guys do, it's tradition" she sighs and looks between me and my aunt "you better speak to your father then" she says with a smile, I smile back "thank you" I say as I walk out to the garden I see Tricia talking amongst the kids and dad was with the dads at the barbeque, I walk over to him, "hey chipmunk, want a burger" he asks as the other dads carry on chatting.

"mum said I had to ask you if it was alright for me and Tricia to go and meet up with the guys as we have a tradition to do," I say he flips some burgers and turns over some sausages, "where will you guys be and how many?" he asks I look over at Tricia she's still talking to one of our cousins, "well it will be me Tricia, Ellie, James, Brett and Lucy, and we will be at the hut behind the school in the trees," I say trying not to give away too much information, he turned from the barbeque and looked at me, "its tradition, of course, you can go, I've never stopped you before," he said smiling, I jump up and down giving him a hug, I whisper "thank you" I give him a peck on the cheek as I walk over to Tricia, she looks up sees me smiling, "so are you coming or what?" I say as she stares at me in disbelief, "well are you coming or not, Lucy's waiting" I say turning around starting to walk back into the house, I walk back into the kitchen, "dad said yes, and Tricia is coming as well, don't worry I will look after her" I say as I walk up to mum kissing her on the cheek, as I walk past her to the fridge grabbing an apple out of the fridge, I shut it seeing Tricia walking in "we'll see you later, hey aunt Tracey you're going to be at the game tomorrow right" I ask as I walk out the kitchen.

"I'll try babe," she says I turn and smile, I walk to the front door seeing that Tricia is already at the car, I close the door behind me, and I run over to the car waiting for her to finish talking to Lucy and actually get in, I stand there looking at the house, "well are you going to get in or what?" I hear Lucy say, I turn back to see Tricia sat in the back smiling, I roll my eyes and get in. we drive towards the school when my phone rings again, "Jesus, this girl cannot give me a damn minute" I say as I answer the phone through my radio, "what up bitch?" I say through the mic, "where are you James and Brett are having a bro off, seeing how high they can climb the tree" she says through the phone, as I turn into the car park "well we are here now, I've just turned up in the car park" I say, we hear the guys in the background, "come on James your slacking", I look to Lucy she rolls her eyes in response, "what do you mean I'm slacking we are literally neck to neck bro" I roll my eyes after hearing what James had to say, "Right, I'm going to hang up now and get out the car we will be there in five" she hangs up before I could, I turn the engine off and we all get out of the car, I walk round to the boot getting the booze out handing one pack to Lucy and another to Tricia, I pick the last pack.

We walk to the edge of the forest heading towards the hut, Lucy goes ahead knowing where we were going while I stayed back with Tricia, "so how long have you guy's been a thing?" I ask her I see her smile, "well we have been talking for a while, well... he was going through something when he was with Roxy and he couldn't talk to her and I noticed something wasn't right so he opened up to me and we carried on talking but nothing happened until he broke up with her and he didn't ask me out until a month later, but we had been talking up till then..." she says as we get to the hut, I notice Lucy standing next to Ellie, staring up a tree "Brett get down here now!" she shouted up, putting the crate of beer down I wrap my arms around her side placing my head on her shoulder, I give her a kiss on the cheek moving to her ear, "I love you" I whisper placing my head back on her shoulder I feel her smile, placing her hand on mine.