26. Entering Personal Space

Start from the beginning

The words sound a lot like a goodbye, a prepared farewell. And Haneul falters at the sincerity in the fighter's tone, his truthful eyes. "I—"

"Uncle Jiswoo! When did you come?" Soomin interrupts her father and Haneul is grateful for it. He didn't have a reply for Dae Ho, unsure of what'd leave his lips next.

The girl is already koala hugging Dae Ho's leg, his hand reaching for her head on instinct but stopping right above it, eyes glancing at Haneul. "You're looking lovely today." He settles for the compliment instead, hand dropping by his side. "Are you going somewhere?"

"Yes! I and appa are gowing to pway in the park." She then turns to her father and runs to him. "Appa, can Uncle Jiswoo come with us?" She bounces, ecstatic hands grappling his jacket.

"Uh...I'm sure Uncle Jisoo is busy so—"

"I'd love to come with you Soomin." Dae Ho interjects at the first chance he gets, the little girl's eyes lighting up at the statement.

"Yay!" Soomin pumps her fist in the air with a cheer and Dae Ho turns away from the glare that's directed his way. The father scoffs at how his daughter takes Dae Ho's hand and walks towards the elevator. He's lucky Soomin likes him or Haneul would've never let him tag along. The tension in the elevator is heavy, thick enough to slice it with a knife. The lowering from the 17th floor to the ground feels like hours, Haneul busying himself with his mobile phone while Dae Ho finds staring at his boots interesting and Soomin hums a merry tune, blissfully unaware of the tumultuous nature of the situation she caused.

The ping of the elevator draws relieved twin breaths, the men awkwardly glancing at each other and exiting the space. Haneul grabs Soomin's hand and walks to his car parked in the lot while Dae Ho exits the place to mount his bike. He follows the doctor's car till they reach a park.

Soomin wastes no time in running to the slide, waving at Haneul when she stands at the top. The park is crowded with people, parents relaxing under the trees and breathing fresh air while the children busy themselves playing. Food trucks and toy stalls are scattered around the place, the smell of coffee and fried food tickling empty stomachs. Spotting three wooden benches, Dae Ho sits at the left corner, Haneul opting for the right seat corner, farthest from the other man. Although the park is lively, the silence between the two is unnerving.

Dae Ho cards his fingers through his hair, combing his unkempt ebony locks. He pulls the elastic band on his wrist and loosely ties his hair into a bun, strands from the sides falling over his temples. He observes Soomin, the girl enjoying herself without a care in the world. Her lips are permanently pulled up into a wide grin, impatient hands and buzzing legs help her with the rides. A thought clicks his mind and Dae Ho realizes it's the very park where he first met Kim Soomin. Warmth spreads through his chest at the memory of the child tearing up after her ice cream fell to the ground when she bumped into him and the way she rejected his energy bar but changed her decision the next moment. He never did buy her an ice cream then.

Dae Ho stalks up to the white ice cream truck, his hand reaching for his wallet. "I'd like one strawberry ice cream."

"Coming right up!" The girl in a beret and apron chirps, pulling out a cone and preparing the ice cream. "Here you go, sir."

The fighter thanks her and pays, making his way to where Soomin is. He waves a hand to gain her attention, the girl's eyes sparkling at the cone in Dae Ho's hands. She runs to him with a cheeky grin. "This is for you," the older man says, hand extending towards her but unbidden fingers wrap around his tattooed wrist, tugging it, and the ice cream falls.

"Appa!" Soomin shrieks in displeasure, her lips stretching into a whine.

"Don't," Haneul warns Dae Ho, earning a tilt of a confused head. "I don't know what you put in there—"