Chapter Fifteen

"Come on, hermanos. Get in!" Jorge tells us as he hops in the front seat of Bertha.

"I call shotgun!" Newt called out as he ran to the passenger door. He had just beaten me.

"Damnit Newt!" I exclaim.

He laughs. "Sorry, Ted. Better luck next time," his smile ranges from ear to ear as I slam shut his door.

I end up sitting in the seat directly behind Jorge. Next to me is Frypan and next to him is Aris, then next to Aris is Brenda. Teresa, Thomas, and Minho are all in the very back.

Jorge chuckles. "Hold on tight kids. We've got a long drive ahead of us."

Jorge starts driving fast and I feel lucky I got the view out the window. I watch as we drive out of Crank city— the name I heard Jorge call it earlier. I see the mountains far away in the distance, and I'm more than excited to finally see what awaits for us.

The cold breeze from the open roof washes over my skin, sending chills down my neck. The change in temperature is astonishing how it went from burning hot to bone chilling. I wrap myself tightly in my jacket, luckily it'll keep me warm.

~~~

It's about in hour nobody has spoken for most of the ride. We're all way too exhausted and worn out from everything that's happened in only the past week or so. I have to admit it feels good to just have silence. It's not awkward or uncomfortable. It's calming and peaceful and I love it.
Silence is always something I loved. Even in the Glade.

Thinking of the Glade makes my heart swarm with memories. I miss it so much. I miss Chuck. I miss Alby. All my friends. My brothers.

"You alright?" I hear Newt whispers. I turn my head (which was resting on my hand) to face Newt. I swear to god he can read me like a book. He has a worried look on his face which makes me wonder what expression I had on my own.

A smile grows on my face. "Yeah... yeah I am. Thanks," I whisper back.
And for once, it couldn't be more true. We are hours away from our destination and a new life and peace. I can't wait!

~~~

The vehicle rocks as Jorge drives across a rocky slope. The temperatures as dropped even more in only a few hours. The sky has big, grey, fluffy clouds covering it. The sun only shines through a small opening when the clouds aren't in the way.

Most of my friends have drifted off to sleep, or are resting their eyes. I've tried to fall asleep, but there are too many thoughts that cannot seem to escape my head.

There is a small radio in the front which has been playing for most of the ride. I listen to the lyrics of each song and occasionally ask Jorge for details about it.
"When was it written?" Or "who's it about?" Or "why was it written?" And more too, but I think you get the gist.
Jorge never really had answers for any of my questions. He seemed annoyed so I stopped asking. The questions still lingered in my mind.

I remember how in the Glade I asked for books and they sent some up in the box. I would do anything to have them with me now. I love being able to dive into a fictional world, and away from reality.

Now Jorge is driving up the side of the rocky mountain. All of us are now awake and aware that this is the mountain in the distance. The mountain that could potentially save our lives from the infected and change our lives forever. Free from WICKED.

I perk my head up when Bertha comes to a stop. "What's going on?" I asked confused as I look out the front window. "Oh..."

Multiple cars block the road. The only way to get to the other side with Bertha.