*19 ~ Where Her Home Is*

|JAMIE|

The summer breeze always tends to carry a heaviness within it. One would think the air can't get any more thick as it is right now. They'd be wrong.

My mom's make-up hasn't smudged at all; the magic of water-proof cosmetics. She lets out a sigh. "The three of us have a lot to discuss. Jamie, sweetheart, I'm sure you have lots of questions, but if you allow me to start from the beginning... everything will make sense."

My racing mind slows down in order to process everything mom is about to explain to me. I glance at Husan, who's leaning against the brownstone's brick wall. He's fixated on the dead grass next to his feet. I'm curious to what's going through his head right now. He's probably equally as affected as I am by the huge family reveal.

"I want to know everything, so I'll just sit back and listen. I'll save my hundreds of questions for after you're done," I say. "Husan, are you listening?"

He looks up at me with defeat all over his face. "Remember how I told you I'm a bad person, Jamie? You're about to find out why."

Mom clears her throat. "Now then. I'll begin. This all started with your father's brother, Uncle Zeev, as you would have called him. He always challenged the way his brother, Chakir, ruled the empire. Yes, we are royalty, but I'll get into that later. They were always at odds with each other. Sibling rivalry. Zeev suggested they go on a short vacation for some sibling bonding. I encouraged Chakir to go and fix the relationship with his brother. Two days later, Zeev ran into the palace and ordered a High Council Meeting. Tears ran down his face as he told of how his brother accidentally walked over a sand pile that was home to a Mamuthue and it killed him. One bite and a Mamuthue feeds off a djinn's essence and poisons the djinn at the same time. Chakir wasn't able to save himself using essence and even if he could, the poison kills brain cells and attacks the cervix first. He would not have been able to think properly. I actually believed my brother-in-law until I witnessed his so-called grief morph into glee the moment the High Council confirmed him the new Emperor. I saw the sick satisfaction in his eyes — he killed my husband. I had to step down since Zeev's wife would have to take my position.

"I spent some time worried about how I could raise a baby all by myself, but I had three years to figure it out. Husan's mother was banished for serial adultery and years later, Zeev killed himself. Husan found his body still in bed as if asleep. The half drunk glass of water on his nightstand turned out to be benzene, a poisonous chemical. He didn't use his essence to save himself, so it was a clear suicide. Some speculate that he did it because of survivor's guilt. Others said it wasn't his brother, but his wife's betrayal that pushed him to do it. Whatever the reason, Husan blamed me. He still blames me. Your cousin is convinced I'm a murderer like his father was. Worst of all, Husan believes his father is innocent. So does everyone else. But I know the truth and now you know too, sweetheart. I'll let your cousin explain the rest."

My mom is the only person who blames Husan's father (who I guess is dead Uncle Zeev) for my dad's death. It does sound like an accident, though. However, if I'm to believe Uncle Zeev is responsible, then I'm just like Hamlet. All this time, Husan has been comparing himself to the vengeful prince, but it's actually me. By no means do I want revenge. I don't even know if I'm angry or not. Truthfully, I feel a bit numb to all the information I've taken in today. Processing everything will take a while, that's for sure.

I walk up to Husan and lean against the wall, facing him. "I believe she passed the microphone over to you."

"I know. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to tell you this. Though, I suppose I should just rip the band-aid off, yes?"

I nod.

He lets out a deep sigh and his gaze falls back to the ground. "Two years ago, sixteen years in the Realm of Human, I was fourteen. I was mourning my father since it was the anniversary of his death. You were born only a week earlier. Since your mother is a liar and a killer, I wanted revenge. I wanted her to be miserable. That's why to celebrate the one year anniversary, I decided that I... that I..." His voice quivers as it trails off into silence.