*2 ~ What She Wishes For*

|JAMIE|

Today is Friday, and just like yesterday, I'm once again dreading when the bell signals the beginning of lunch.

In exactly two minutes, I'll cut the crap and just straight-up ask Leo out. I've already talked to him, so it's going to be less awkward now. His friends are an audience I would prefer weren't there, but honestly I'm way too focused to even worry about them.

Earlier today, in U.S. History, Leo walked past me to his seat and waved at me. That was a nice surprise. I waved back, but I have no doubt that my cheeks were visibly tainted, at the time. I can't deny how attracted I am to him. I'm definitely more on the quieter side in public, but once he's in my sights I literally can't function anymore -- he's too cute.

Speaking of looks, I've gotten so many mixed opinions on my appearance that I honestly don't know what to believe. I have tan skin and brown hair. I think I'm Middle Eastern or Indian. It has to be one of those two. If I had to describe myself, I'd say I'm decently above average in attractiveness. That being said, I might actually be a plain jane. Either way, I have a reasonable amount of self-awareness to know I have a chance with him.

Can I handle rejection?

My parents rejected me.

Stop thinking like that! The reasons are unknown.

The electronic bell rings and I grab my bag before speed walking to the cafeteria. I walk over to the vending machines and decide to get Gatorade this time. I look over to the nearby table and it's empty. Leo's group isn't here yet, which is good. I mean, I got here early so that I can have time to mentally prepare myself.

Also, I brought money again. I have five one dollar bills. Three for the Gatorade. One to give to Leo because I owe him. The extra is for me to spend another time.

I let the slot eat up my hard earned birthday cash. That's when I can hear a loud group of people getting closer. I recognize a couple voices, especially Leo's voice. Looks like it's time to rip the band-aid off. I reach down and receive my drink; I twist the cap off and take a few sips.

I glance over and see the group of friends having fun as they did yesterday. Without taking time to think about it, I confidently make my way over. One guy who can see me coming taps on Leo's shoulder and whispers something to him. My presence is now known. Before I even reach the table, Leo turns around and sees me. I hold my breath and continue until I'm face to face with the guy of my dreams.

"Hey, it's you again," Leo grins. "Jamie, right?"

"Yeah," I say. I unfold the dollar and hand it towards him. "I owe you."

"Oh, thanks. You didn't have to pay me back."

I manage to shrug casually despite the discomfort in my stomach and the ever embarrassing blush. "It's only fair."

Wow, I'm speaking as if I'm actually calm. I'm proud of myself. I'm voluntarily talking to someone that's not my foster siblings; talk about progress. I might be able to do this after all.

"Cool. Well, I'll see you in class then."

"Wait." I lightly begin scratching my left arm. I need all the comfort I can get. "I kinda... want to ask a hypothetical question."

I just can't seem to rip the band-aid off, I guess. Let's see if this approach is less awkward for me.

His light brown eyes widen slightly and he raises an eyebrow. "Uh... sure."

Oh god, I'm going to sound so lame saying this, but it's all I got and it's now or never. Mickey doesn't even know I'm doing this right now. To make matters worse, his friends are watching me because they are probably wondering who the hell I am and why I'm talking to Leo.