*14 ~ The Assignment Hall*

|AMANI|

Fayola and I manifest into the Assignment Hall. I've always admired the architecture of this building. Limestone columns and marble walls. The granite floor tiles form a spiral pattern that spells out the name of whom the empire is named after: Empress Alika and Emperor Jinah. Together, they gave birth to the Aljinian Empire. That being said, the floor needs to be cleaned, but it's impossible to keep it so with thousands of feet walking on it daily.

It's a little hectic, as usual. Djinn between the ages of thirteen and above are rushing to get their assignment files, and place their zujahbah in a portal slot. The random selection through the database keeps things fair, I think. However, it is set to match by age group, so that communication between the djinns and humans can happen effectively.

"I'm going to be honest with you, dear. As a royal, I've never worked here a day in my life," says Fayola.

I chuckle. "Don't worry. I have. Before meeting Chakir, I needed to help my family out, so I started working at fifteen. It's scary at first. You don't know how long you'll be gone for. Humans either breeze through all their wishes in a week or wait until they need them, and that can take months or a whole year."

"That sounds incredibly inconvenient. I thought it was scheduled. A month or two."

"What happens if it's time to leave and the human doesn't use all their wishes? Partial pay."

"Ah, I see. A schedule is a lose-lose situation."

"There are tricks to this if you want to go home faster," I say. "Give out suggestions or trick them into wasting their wishes. It's a little mean, but at least you get a paycheck."

"Not that we need one, but I understand why Human Service is a popular choice. Is the job fun?" Fayola looks around.

Making friends is what makes it fun. I most definitely have a handful of humans who I consider good friends, though I don't visit often. I wouldn't hand my daughter off to any foster home, afterall. Anika-Avara Coleson was one of the last few people I was assigned to before I married Chakir. She finds her two first names a mouthful, thus the nickname Double A.

I shrug in response. "It depends if the human is nice. You never know who you will be stuck with or for how long. That's why my nephew's punishment is without pay, so he doesn't get the reward that comes from Human Service."

"That's right." Fayola's perks up. "The prince is almost done with his punishment. One more person left, yes?"

"That's correct. The time really flew by, didn't it? I'm proud of him. He has shown me that he can be trusted around my daughter. Those two kids are all I have, so I'm happy that we all can move on and be a family."

"That's beautiful, Amani. That's what I like to hear! Positivity is what I live by." She is pushed into me by someone rushing to get inside. "Hey! Try not to bump into a queen, you clumsy commoner!"

I snort as I laugh. "That was some great positivity, Fayola. Good job."

Clearly embarrassed, she scans the grand interior and points at a hanging sign. "There! That's where the database is! Let's go!"

I link our arms together as we maneuver past the long lines and crowds. The hallway is wide enough for three people to walk side by side. The edges of my dress still have dirt on them. I glance behind me to see that a few clumps have made it onto the floor. It's not like it could get more dirty than it already is.

We reach a split. We can enter the left hallway, which is where the actual database is. Or, more practical, we can go right and ask the employees to allow us to see all the recent assignments in Brooklyn, New York.