Chapter FortyTwo

"Get up" I'm awoken as the cell door swings open, the rusted metal making me cringe, my shoulders rising to my ears.

The maid that had come to get me looks at me with disgust, her top lip curling. My entire body shakes with quakes of chills from the cold cement floor I had spent the night on, my clothing doing nothing to warm me.

"Get up!" she repeats, this time bending down and grabbing my arm, pulling me up to my feet. My legs struggle to stand and without her help I'd probably be back on the floor. I look down at my bare feet and see the tinge of purple on my toes that had been exposed to the cold temperatures all night.

"Where are we going?" I question. I couldn't tell if it's still night as the room had no windows and no form of outside light whatsoever.

"Come on, girl" she shakes me, getting impatient "wake up, it's your wedding day" she gives a light slap to my cheek before walking me towards the steps again.

"My wedding day" I mutter under my breath. She leads me up the steps and into the kitchen. I cover my eyes from the bright light of the kitchen, the light from the sun shines in through the window, showing the early morning light.

The kitchen is buzzing with activity, the maids getting the last of the food ready, they ignore us as I'm dragged through the house and up to the spare bedroom I'd been staying in.

"Where is everyone?" I question. The house is unusually quiet for this time of morning.

The older maid looks at me like I'm crazy.

"The groom can't see the bride before the wedding" she says. I pull my eyebrows together, the old fashioned belief normal for Class.

"Well" I sniff as my nose itches "where is everyone else?" I ask.

I see her look at me from the side "guarding the fence" she says quietly. My muscles tense at the revelation, they're still weary something will interrupt this wedding, or someone. I fail to understand how though. Sage is in the experimental chambers and Serge isn't going to risk his mens lives for me.

More maids clutter the spare room, including Penelope as I'm shoved into a chair and immediately they go to work on my hair and makeup.

I look around and spot the clock hung high on the wall reads 10.33am. Movement out the window catches my attention.

White everywhere. The whole yard is surrounded by white chairs, a podium and flowers. The arch at the end of the walk way sparkles in the sun.

"W-what time does the wedding start?" I ask, willing anyone to answer.

"Twelve" Penelope says quietly as she comes around to my side and bobby pins a piece of hair in place.

My chin begins to tremble and tears form in my eyes as I drop my head.

"Hey, hey, none of that" one of the maids yanks my head back by my hair, my eyes instantly connect through the mirror with Max as he stands in the doorway. The combined anger and frustration from over the last few days all come crashing down on me at once. The sight of Max standing stoic and void, doing nothing to help his little sister as she's sold off triggers the last ounce of sanity I have left.

"You piece of shit!" I scream as I pull away from the maids. Max remains impassive.

I slam my fists down on the vanity making various items to fall to the floor, including a compact mirror, causing it to shatter.

I march my way over to Max as the maids attempt to grab a hold of my flailing arms.

"Miss, miss" they cry out.