Chapter Thirteen

I let out a shuddering breath and then go to the bathroom and gently put my bleeding palm under the cool water. The sink turns red as the cut stings.

Hands encase me against the sink, making me jump not hearing him move through my room, the space between my back and his chest allows me to move freely.

Nothing is said for a while as we both watch the cut bleed less and less.

"I didn't trigger the alarm" Sage grumbles. His voice is deep and soul grabbing. The vibrations hitting places they shouldn't.

"Someone else was with you?" I quietly question. All I receive back is a low hum. I assume the other person set the alarm off going back over the fence when he doesn't mention anything more about them.

We go back to silence. My hand eventually slows down its bleeding as I reach for a hand towel and hold it in place. I use my back to push against Sage, tingles traveling along my skin as he releases the basin and steps back. I bend at the knees and look underneath the sink searching for the first aid kit and then remember I gave it to Sage.

I shut the cabinet and spin around to see Sage holding out a first aid kit similar to mine. This one I recognise as Max's.

"Where'd you get this?" I ask. He remains silent, his eyes laughing at me. He knows I know where he got it from.

I place the kit on the basin and pull out everything I'll need before taking off the blood soaked hand towel. The sparkling diamond catches my attention as well as Sage's, I feel his eyes all over it. I roughly pull it off my finger and throw it somewhere among the scattered beauty products on the basin.

I wrap my hand in bandages before attempting to hold the bandage in place with a butterfly clip. I struggle with it; the bandage coming undone faster than I can clip it together.

I feel the heat of Sage as he moves close once again, the cigarette smell filling my nose. He reaches from behind me and grabs the clip out of my hand. I hold the bandage in place while he swiftly clips the butterfly clip into place.

I didn't expect him to caress the bandage on my palm though. We stand there for a minute, his whole aura swallowing me. My mind becomes a blurry mess, getting high off of his smell.

I feel the tip of his nose bump the back of my head before his chest fills with air, breathing in my own scent. I flick my eyes up from our hands to the mirror where they make contact with his. His eyes are dark, not out of anger though.

I'm so distracted I don't notice the knocking at my door until it's pushed open. Sage steps back behind the bathroom door as I'm star struck standing in the doorway. Ma looks at me and quickly looks at my injured hand, not taking any notice of it. She says nothing as she proceeds to the curtains and rips them open. She takes an extra second to gaze at the fence.

"Mongrels" she mutters under her breath. Sage's hands tighten around the edge of the door, his knuckles turning red. I say nothing.

"You still haven't cleaned up the glass?" she says, her tone angry. Dad must've not been in a good mood when he dropped in, Ma's attitude projecting it onto me.

"I was getting to it but I-" she cuts me off as I try to explain the situation.

"I'll do it myself" she mutters angrily. I stand in the doorway wanting to help her but afraid she'll see Sage if I move.

The glass is cleaned up within seconds. Ma wipes off her dress from kneeling on the floor before coming up to me. She keeps eye contact with me before dropping her eyes to my hand.

"Where's your ring?" is all she says. She couldn't care less that I am bleeding.

"On the basin" I mutter. She gives me a nod.