Chapter ThirtyEight

The heat inside the car is almost suffocating. The heater had been turned to full heat, my naked arms sticking to the leather seat behind me. Nobody else seems to be bothered by it so maybe it's my panic and not the heating.

A trickle of sweat runs down the back of my neck and soaks into my shirt.

I keep my eyes out the window, refusing to look out the front window as the car races down the Main Street of Lawless; not wanting to see anyone be run over.

Nobody is around though, everyone on Main Street hidden just out of view whenever High Class are close.

The lights of Lawless begin to fade the further we get, the bush getting thicker and my throat becoming tighter.

I sit up as we fly past the opening of the path that leads to the fence of Class, the black Jeep hidden in the bush just off the road, although empty. Vomit rises in my throat at the thought of Gunner going home and finding Ivy dead in Sage's bedroom.

"What is it?" Jace questions, bringing me back into the moment; I sit back and redirect my eyesight to face forward, not wanting to draw attention to the vehicle.

"Nothing" I shake my head. He stares at the side of my face for a second before turning his body and looking out the back window. I hold my breath while he searches out the window but release it when he turns back around, the surroundings being too dark for him to see the Jeep.

The silence in the car causes my ears to ring within my own head, the only sound being the cars engine. Jace's men and Max remain silent the entire drive, not even throwing a glance my way.

"Would you hurry the fuck up, I've got shit to do" Jace suddenly snaps, making me jump.

"Yes boss" the older man in the drivers seat replies, sitting up straighter.

It's only another fifteen minutes of driving before the lights of Class begin to become visible through the thick bush. My heart somehow beats even faster and my body begins to feel like it's vibrating from shaking.

The main gate of Class comes into view, a guard on each side. The car slows, but doesn't come to a full stop. I watch as the radio in one of the guards hands lights up as he speaks into it before the scrapping of metal, loud enough to make me cringe is heard.

The gate starts to slowly open from the middle. I watch in fascination, I had never seen this side of Class before. Nobody in Class is allowed anywhere near the gate so not many had seen it, we all knew it is there though.

The guards stand straight, their rights hands saluting the car, knowing Jace is inside but probably not visible through the dark tint.

Random buildings I had never seen before line the streets, all of them cased in darkness and not a soul in sight. I keep my eyes peeled out the window, hoping to see any sign of Sage hiding within the darkness but quickly come up empty.

"That's the medical supply building" Jace points to one of the identical buildings, the front door slightly open "that fucker Creed raided it" he scoffs, calling Sage by his last name "thought we didn't know, that was part of the plan".

My head whips in Jace's direction as he openly glares at the building. My mind hadn't even gone to the thought that High Class could have possibly captured Sage and the guys, they always got away.

"You have Sage?" I question, my voice quiet as I swallow the lump in my throat. He slowly turns to look at me in the eyes, teeth clenched.

"Sage?" he states. I take a deep breath as I realise my mistake "you friendly with Creed?" he asks, eyes darkening.