Chapter Five

The next two days ran as normal, without any incident. No more alarms or shots in the middle of the night. Everybody in Class proceeded with their lives as usual and their routines undisturbed.

Except for me.

The morning after the incident, I awoke expecting someone to catch on, to have heard something and interrogate the truth out of me. None of that happened though, no one suspected a thing.

The guilt was eating me alive. My head was telling me to tell someone what had happened only 12 hours ago, knowing it was the right thing to do. But then my gut knew that if I tell someone it wasnt going to be just the Lawless man that was in danger, it'd be me too.

Today was a Tuesday and in our house that was cleaning day. At least that's what Ma and I had to do. Dad and Max were out all day, no doubt working with High Class.

Before I knew it, it was once again dark outside. We prepared dinner and waited for Dad and Max to arrive home. We waited for an hour, the food cold before they walk through the door.

They mention nothing and seem to be in a decent mood for once. It make's me question how good they are at their job. How can you work for High Class, be best of the best and not even notice someone had been in your own home?

I retreat to my bedroom early in the evening. The longer I'm around my family the more overwhelming the guilt becomes, eating at my mind.

I shower and head to bed. I lie awake for hours until my eyes can no longer physically stay open.

*

I wake early in the morning, just as the sun is rising. I roll over and become confused when my face rolls onto the rough material of what should've been my pillow. I open my eyes and it takes me a second to recognise the brown mesh of my bag.

It's the same bag that had been taken by the Lawless man.

I sit up in a hurry, looking around my room. There's no sign that anyone had been in here or anything had been disturbed.

He must've come in here while I was sleeping; the thought sends a shiver down my spine. I rack my brain of any memory from during the night.

The briefest memory of being in a light sleep before a shh sends me off again flashes to the front of my brain.

I jump out of bed and check the window and door. Both are closed and locked, just how I had left them. Looking from the window, the fence looks undisturbed. Just for safety I check my bathroom and closet too.

He's defiantly not here. Was he ever here? Of course he was. If he wasn't then how'd the bag end up here?

I have no time to think about it any further as the front door opens and slams closed. I can faintly hear chatter in the kitchen before footsteps run up the stairs and down the hallway, towards my room.

My door is slammed open, banging against the wall as Jace Hunt stands in the doorway.

"Good morning, wifey" he exclaims. He's dressed in the High Class uniform of navy blue pants, jacket and boots.

I stand in the middle of my room, holding the brown bag in my hand, dressed in nothing but a large shirt.

As soon as my brain realises it's Jace I duck into the bathroom, his eyes crawling over my body.

"What're you doing here? Get out!" I yell through the door. I look at the small clock hanging over the bathroom sink. It's barely 7.00am.

"No can do princess, were going out for breakfast" my eyes widen. Even though were meant to marry, he still has to court me and that doesn't start until 3 months before the weddi-

It's the 17th of February, exactly three months before we are to wed. My mouth gapes in horror.

I begin to panic. My chest rising and falling rapidly and my hands start to shake.

"Get out!" I scream through the door. I hear the click of my bedroom door closing and heavy boots walking away.

I sit on the floor in turmoil as tears run down my face. The emotions from the last few days finally getting to be too much, Jace being the cherry on top.

I'm in such a state that I didn't realise I was still clutching the bag. I open it but nothing was inside. He had taken all the medical supplies I had handed over. The bottom of the bag had specks of dirt on it, assuming it had been thrown over the fence multiple times.

Within the dirt gathered on the bottom was a small purple flower that I'd only ever seen growing on Lawless side of the fence. It was squashed and had dirt stuck to it.

I carefully pry it off and set it on the bathroom sink. I try my best to remove the dirt with some water while carefully trying to not destroy it before leaving it out to dry.

I had a shower and reluctantly got ready for this dreaded breakfast date with Jace. I quickly put on leggings and a jumper, not wanting to put effort into impressing him. My hair is chucked into a mess of a bun on top of my head.

Before walking out into the kitchen, I pick up the delicate flower and place it safely in between pages of a book on my shelf, away from prying eyes.