[ 64 ]

Riga, Latvia

Riga, Latvia

Now that the three men had some kind of idea of where the Flag Smashers had a camp, they were walking through the streets of Latvia and heading towards the apartment that Zemo had which would keep them sheltered in between missions. Sam and Bucky didn't know what to expect but after flying around in a private jet, they were pretty certain that whatever this apartment looked like, it was going to be better than anything they could have found. They didn't trust Zemo after he shot Nagel but they needed him, that was the only reason they were keeping him around because of his knowledge of the super soldier serum. Sam's mind was spinning with the possible links between Donya and the Flag Smashers, wondering whether her death may have impacted them to make a change in their movement or not but all Bucky could think about was whether he was going to bump into his wife in the middle of this country.

"I heard what became of Sokovia. Cannibalised by its neighbours before the land was cleared of rubble, erased from the map. I don't suppose any of you bothered visiting the memorial? Of course not, why would you?" Zemo answered his own question with hostility, knowing that the Avengers were always too busy to not think about their mistakes and stopped in front of a large wooden door. "We are here."

Bucky's eyes drifted down the street, and he was sure that he caught glimpse of someone following them; someone familiar and for that reason, he knew that he needed to get away from them for a while. "I'm going for a walk."

"You good?" Sam questioned, noticing that he didn't really seem as focused as usual and wondered whether he was going through something that he hadn't mentioned.

"Yeah, I'll see you guys in a bit." He replied before setting off down the path from the way that they had come but turned down a quieter street. He stopped in the middle of the stone path, feeling a presence behind him and spoke, already knowing who had followed him. "How did you find me?"

Noelle smiled as her husband turned around to face her and she showed him the screen of her phone with a shrug. "The GPS in your phone."

"What GPS? I don't have-"

"I installed one before I went away. I wanted to keep track of you without you knowing, make sure that you were doing everything you were supposed to."

"If you wanted to keep track of me then you shouldn't have left." He retorted, still feeling frustrated that she had left on a mission without telling him anything about it. For weeks, he had been concerned for her safety and wondered what she was doing; then he found out that her mission was working undercover with the Flag Smashers and his worry increased because he knew how dangerous they were. Overall, the entire thought of Noelle being away from him, scared him because he wanted to protect her and couldn't when he didn't know where she was. For years, they had been separated and as the Winter Soldier, Bucky hadn't been able to take care of her so he had relied on Steve for that job. But now Steve was gone, and Bucky was no longer the murderous assassin that Hydra had brainwashed him to be; and because of that, it was his job once again to look after Noelle. Despite her saying that she didn't need to be protected, he still wanted to feel that he was looking after her and this entire mission made him feel uneasy.