[ 22 ]

2014Washington DC

2014
Washington DC

Two years had passed since the attack on New York and in that time, not much had happened. The Avengers hadn't had any missions to take control of and had spare time to do their own things, without worrying about saving the world. For Steve and Noelle, time had gone by slowly and they weirdly missed not having anything to focus on. They managed to get an apartment together, where they tried to catch up on the last seventy years without the help of Shield because it had become clear that they didn't learn much from their rehabilitation lessons, as they didn't understand any references made. Steve had a notebook where he wrote down any pop culture things that he needed to understand and experience, allowing Noelle to join him on his quest to understand any reference that was sent his way. Due to the years passing by, the two had gotten used to the new world that they lived in and had developed their own routine to help them fit in. part of that routine was a scheduled early morning run, in which Steve would run several miles and Noelle would wait for him to finish, offering him a water bottle when he was done. Today, they had set out for his run but instead of him doing it alone, he was joined by another man; taking the time to annoy him every single time he overtook him on the run.

Steve finishes his run and walks over to the tree where the man is panting heavily next to Noelle, who had offered him one of the water bottles that she was carrying. "Need a medic?"

"I need a new set of lungs." The man laughed, shocked at what he had just seen. "Dude, you just ran, like, thirteen miles in thirty minutes."

"I guess I got a late start." He shrugged, looking around the area that he had just exercised in and enjoying the new company.

"Really? You should be ashamed of yourself."

Noelle liked this guy's energy and it seemed that he was one to make jokes just like her, so she copied his actions and gestured to Steve. "You should take another lap."

"Did you just take it? I assume you just took it."

"He's fast but not that fast." She smirked, glad to see that Steve was hurt by her comment and was ready to throw something at her when the man interrupted their moment.

"Well, I haven't seen you running yet? How about you do a lap?"

She raised an eyebrow at his question. "I don't need to run; I have other ways of working out."

"What unit you with?"

"58th Pararescue. But now I'm working down at the VA." The man offered his hand for Steve to shake, and introduced himself. "Sam Wilson."

"Steve Rogers."

"I kind of put that together." He nodded, turning to the shorter woman beside them and already knowing who she was. "And you must be Noelle Dean, his sidekick?"

She hated that everyone had kept calling her the sidekick and the name had stuck, so she threatened Sam in the friendliest way possible; with her fist raised and her teeth clenched. "Call me his sidekick again and I'll show you, my workout."