Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"What are you doing?" Rebecca raised her brow.

"Mark, you've been staring at her," Oliver stated.

Mark blushed. "Oh... sorry, I was just... I was just trying to read your mind." Great excuse, Mark scolded himself.

Rebecca shifted uncomfortably. "Please, don't."

He shouldn't have said that he thought. From what he remembered, like Bucky Barnes, Rebecca was also subjected to HYDRA's mind-control. Mark said an area in the game.

"Miss," Rebecca told them.

Oliver sighed. "You're useless."

Mark rolled his eyes.

Rebecca said an area in the game.

"Miss!" Oliver grinned.

Chuckling, she got off the counter and went to the fridge and handed Mark a bottle of beer, and she got out her own. They finished the game with Rebecca completely destroying Oliver's battleship, while Oliver fixed his things, Mark helped out with cleaning in the kitchen, there weren't many dishes for them to wash since Rebecca didn't need to have that much dishware.

"You know, this is really nice of you to do," Mark began. "Looking out for Oliver."

Rebecca smiled softly. "I just want to help."

Because you're an Avenger, he thought. "I've been looking for babysitters in the building, I'm sure you have somewhere else to be than looking after a kid – and I'm starting to feel like the only reason you haven't taken a job for the past couple of days is to babysit him."

Rebecca faced him. "I don't really mind looking out for him... and, having Oliver over doesn't just help you guys out but it also benefits me."

"How?"

"I don't actually have anything to do, so having him over helps me fill up those vacant hours."

"How about work?"

"They haven't called."

"Friends?"

Rebecca sighed. "The only friend I have is around seven thousand five hundred and seventy miles from here."

"The scientist-friend," Mark realized.

"Yeah."

"You don't have any friends here?"

She tucked her hands in her pockets and shrugged. "They're all busy getting by with everything that is happening around here."

"I see," he replied. But he knew that what she really meant was her only friends were actually the Avengers, and most of them were gone now.

After helping Rebecca with cleaning up, Mark and Oliver left her apartment and went to theirs. As always, he tried paying Rebecca for the food and for the time she spent with Oliver but she won't accept it.

"If I accept it, then I should also be asking my father to pay me for looking out for him," she teased.

But he felt bad. He felt like they were taking advantage of her kindness and not find a permanent solution for their new arrangement. He should at least repay for doing these things.

"How about coffee, then?" Mark suddenly said. He didn't really realize that he said it until he did.

"Coffee?" Rebecca raised a brow.

"Y-Yeah... how about I take you out for some coffee? As a friend! I just want to do something nice for you, because since you've been really nice to my family and..."