Content

Sal POV

The living room was quiet, but not the kind of quiet that made you nervous, itching for someone to say something. Jake had filled the silence when he had been there. Mostly with mindless, irrational things, and the sudden calm was something that none of them had to discuss, especially not me. Not after everything that happened with Jake. Hopefully he had come to his senses by now and got the message that he wasn't welcome.
Travis moved closer, placing a hand on my lower back, as if to say that he was still there and everything hadn't gone so off the rails for the two of us to not be okay. I exhaled, releasing a breath I hadn't realized I was holding and I joined the others.

Time skip————-

The night was filled with laughter and games. So much so that we didn't even bother to check if Jake was gone. There was no knocks, no banging and he was definitely the type of person to try to knock down a door when he felt wronged. I leaned into Travis and I felt warm. The feeling of a need for anything  more than what I had at this exact moment had disappeared ; blossoming into a weird state of almost being content. I did love Travis. And I loved my friends, in ways I could never begin to explain, and the feeling of relief to finally have calmness and stability was more than I ever could have asked for. I truly did not want to go home. To sleep, and to only have these moments as memories instead of the very real things that were happening now.
But even though I don't have a set curfew, my dad wouldn't like me getting home past twelve. And seeing the clock strike one thirty in the morning sent a small flurry of worry into my stomach. Clouding the pure moment with a sense of a responsibility, something I felt I had to do for my dad. After everything that happened with my mom, it was hard. Not only for me but for him too. Losing someone like her, it affected not only the people she was close with, but the people she barely knew. The cashiers at the farmers market asked about her when I came in, even up to a year after it happened. And it all felt so surreal. Like she would come In the revolving door with her bright smile to make my day all the better. It's not good, me zoning out. I don't like not being in moments. Especially moments like these, especially when it's....two fucking thirty?!

    I tugged at Travis's sleeve, "It's late we should really head out."

  He responded with a simple nod, grinning slightly. We didn't have to say much to know what the other meant. Something to add to the long list of things he loved about Travis.