Stacy's Mom

Magnolia:

I burst into the lodge, my huge boots clunking around as I led the herd of Harrison children (plus Ruby) down the stairs to where the boot lockers were. The other people eating breakfast no doubt were annoyed at our entrance, but I didn't mind. I was just out of my mind and happy to be there.

When we entered the main area where people sat and put their boots, gloves, and helmets on, I saw the rest of the gang already there. And, as always, we were the most chaotically dressed motley crew of best friends anyone had ever seen.

"Who's ready to shred some gnar?" Cas said mimicking the ski bum accent and throwing up the "hang loose" hand sign. He was wearing brown pants and a patterned ski jacket that looked like it had gone to hell and back. His longer blonde hair stuck out of his helmet. He looked like such a stoner. God bless Caspian.

"It's not a bluebird day, but there's a fresh powder so it's about to be an awesome day," I said assuredly.

"I brought a speaker! Party on the ski lifts!" Caspian added, and I saw Ivy walk in, her hair lots of thin braids, and roll her eyes. She was wearing all lavender, her pants were just a darker color than the rest of her outfit.

I suddenly felt a weight on top of me as soon as I pulled my helmet on. I looked up to see Rowen resting his elbow on my head.

"Hey," He whispered, smiling down at me. He wore all black, and the goggles that were resting on his helmet were polarized and almost blue. Mine was totally red to match my outfit. I smiled and rolled my eyes back at him.

"Hey," I whispered back, "How'd you sleep?"

His eyebrows furrowed over his sea-green eyes and he stared down at me, "Nola, how do you think sharing a house with Caspian went? Did you think sleep was ever an option?"

I started to laugh until I heard Caspian speak up, "It's just 'cause I'm so hot, we had... fun all night long."

I almost peed myself laughing at that.

"OK!" I said, trying to take deep breaths because I was laughing so hard, "We need to strategize. I think us all skiing in a huge group of nine people will be a bit too much, so let's split up into groups and reshuffle each day."

Ivy tilted her head to the side in confusion, "Nine? There's eight of us..."

"Oh right," I reached out and grabbed my sister Annie as she walked past, yanking her towards me, "She's coming too."

Annie rolled her eyes, "Pft, yeah on days I'm not back-country or helicopter skiing."

"Okie Dokie," (this was my new 'Howdy' I couldn't stop saying it), "Should we go by skill level just to start? How about Ivy, India, and Matteo together cause y'all haven't skied a lot-"

"And I want to come in for Après Ski!" India piped in, flipping her long brown hair over her shoulder. Of course, she'd be the kind of girl who was able to ski with her hair down... I was so jealous.

I nodded. "And Caspian, Annie, Laurent, Ruby, Rowen, and I start together and we can split up from there."

I really didn't know how to organize people because I'd do it by couples but honestly, that'd be awkward depending on the skillset and it could leave Annie, Ruby, and Laurent and that seems like hell.

I knew Matteo and Ivy didn't grow up skiing, so they were a bit behind (much to Matteo's sporty embarrassment), and fresh powder was hard on people who weren't totally confident.

India pretty much-hated skiing and just wanted to ski in the morning, look cute and vibe in the hot tub. I totally respect and love that for her because there's plenty of things in life I am not fully committed to enough to do all day.

However, skiing was one.

I also didn't really know from the other six of us who would be what level, so I was just hoping for the best when I said I'd figure it out by lunch.

"OK," Annie said, looking out the window, "The ski lifts are open, so let's head on down so we can get over to the main mountain before anyone else and hit the powder while it's fresh!"

I buckled the last buckle on my ski boots and did the hobble-walk you have to do in boots to get to the door. Outside, they laid our skis out on the run that led from the lodge to a lift that would take us over to the main mountain, and out of our private club area.

I pulled my black mittens (they were the kind that had gloves inside- the best combo) and popped my skis on. I had them made custom for me when I was 14, and the image of them is a stack of record bindings from my collection. Annie had ones that looked like watermelons. They were cooler than mine.

Ruby popped her rentals right next to me, and we both headed down the normally groomed path and stopped right at the bottom to get in line for the lift. Laurent and Rowen came in right behind us, so the four of us got on together.

"All on?" Rowen asked as he checked that none of us were falling off the lift. It had happened before on a couple of occasions.

"Yeah do y'all want to put the bar down? I get the "cool kids" don't do it, but it gives my ankles a break from holding the heavy skis," I huffed through my balaclava. My goggles were up on my helmet because I honestly liked to ski without them (unless it was actively snowing as I was hitting the slopes hard), and my balaclava was up over my nose and mouth.

I could practically feel Laurent roll his eyes but everyone acquiesced to my request.

"I've never skied Montana before, I'm pretty stoked," Ruby said, leaning back in her chair.

"Neither have we," Laurent said passively, and honestly kind of dismissively.

I wonder what got his panties into a twist...

Just as that thought crossed my mind, I heard music blasting from behind me.

"Stacy's mom has got it going on..."

Cas and Annie.

I couldn't help but whip my head around and look at the lift behind us to see Annie and Caspian doing what looked like shotgunning red bulls while blasting Stacy's Mom. Oh, Lord.

sliding forward a bit in my seat. Rowen's hand shot out and grabbed my thigh protectively.

And hot-ly, if that's a thing.

I bit out a laugh and turned back to face the people on my lift. Rowen's hand relaxed but didn't leave its place (pretty high) on my thigh.

Oddly, Laurent and Ruby weren't laughing, and neither turned around to look at Annie or Cas.

Huh, they are boring I guess. 

God, I want a ski lift boyfriend.... its hot as hell right now, and I never thought I'd say this, but 2020 weirdly ended up being one of the best years of my life (and worst)... 

Now I'm about to go into senior year in high school, college apps are coming up.... give me some recs for colleges or just some help in general!!

Also- VOTE COMMENT LIKE!!! I love y'all (I feel so happy to have time to write those words again)