Gumbo

Magnolia:

The snow fell softly outside, the fire crackled and the scents of my mother's Gumbo floated through the air.

My dad glanced at his watch, "Nola you should probably go get them now. David- go get firewood."

My brother wined, "Why me?"

My dad glared at my brother, "Annie is helping your mother cook, Nola is going to go get her friends, Ruby is in the shower, and Rose is... Rose."

I stifled a laugh as I walked down the stairs to the garage, pulling on my snow boots and grabbing a hat on my way out.

There was something nice about driving by yourself in the dark and snow. I was 14 or 15 when my parents first let me drive in the snow at night. It was because they had a little too much to drink that night.

The radio played softly some pop song, and I hummed along despite only knowing it from internet videos. I probably knew a total of 10 of the words but still it was nice.

I drove the farthest place first, straight to Rowen and Caspian's place. I watched as the two boys ran out of the house like little children, attempting to shove each other into the snow.

Good lord, I thought to myself, what idiots.

Rowen climbed into the passenger seat of the car, and reached across the isle to place a kiss on my cheek before I could even register what was going on.

"Hey," he said breathlessly.

"Hey handsome," I said with a smile.

"Hey! what about me?" Caspian piped up from the back seat.

"I love you too Caspian," I said rolling my eyes. These boys were utterly incorrigible.

We drove and picked up India and Laurent, and then finally Matteo and Ivy. We had one more space in the car, but it was still extremely tightly packed as we headed back to my house.

Ivy insisted that we listen to Christmas music, and India insisted that we listen to All I Want for christmas is You.

Let me just say, the entire car screamed all the words to the song. I swear even Laurent who rarely sings was smiling and singing along a little bit. But if I told anyone that he would definitely deny it.

When we pulled into the garage, my brother and Ruby were hauling wood from outside.

"If your hands are free, grab some wood for the fire," I shouted, and made my way towards the pile to grab some.

India grabbed all the wine and champagne bottles that were gifts for the parents and made her way up, while everyone else piled on logs of wood. The boys tried to show off who could carry the most amount of wood. I think it was a tie between Matteo and Rowen, but Caspian insists that he wins, and Laurent was smirking as he did. We climbed up the stairs and piled all the wood next to the fireplace.

"Dad! Meet my friends," I called, getting his attention. My mom and Annie were busy cooking food, Rose was setting the table, and David was tending to the fire.

"You remember Rowen," I said, looking awkwardly between my dad and Rowen. They were both towering in height, around 6'4. My 5'8 self felt like a shrimp next to them.

Rowen put on his poster boy smile and reached out his hand to my father, "Nice to see you again, Sir."

My dad took his hand and shook it, "Nice to see you as well- I'd love to talk about music to you some time."

I hadn't noticed until that moment I was holding my breath and my heart was beating a million miles a minute. I'm not exactly sure what I thought was going to happen because obviously my dad liked him enough to invite him, but still... I was from the south and I had a protective Catholic father. You never could be too safe.

"This is Ivy and Matteo Fernandez- You remember them," I started introducing everyone else to my dad. Once I had introduced them they made their way around the room, talking to my younger siblings or to Ruby or even my mom.

I saw Rowen and my mother talking by the stove, and I was betting $30 that they were making fun of the fact I had never cooked an egg in my life. Cooking was not a talent of mine.

"Supper's ready!" my mom called.

I beckoned everyone to grab a plate and line up to get rice and seafood gumbo. It was a family recipe that had been handed down for generations. Like seriously, the recipe was a birthday gift when I turned 12.

"I have never had Gumbo before," Caspian mumbled as we sat down at the dining table.

"Then you have not lived," My 14-year-old sister said confidently, "My grandmother's recipe is the best gumbo there is."

"It has oysters, shrimp, crabmeat, okra.." she carried on explaining.

I didn't listen to the conversation as I started shoveling gumbo into my mouth. It wasn't until a swift kick from under the table made me glance upwards at everyone.

"Slowly" My dad mouthed at me, a little anger in his eyes.

I straightened myself at the table, nodded, and continued on. I focus on my manners this time, and not satisfying my unending hunger.

The conversation was lively, and honestly mostly embarrassing. My family decided this was an appropriate moment to re-hash every embarrassing moment in my childhood.

I'm not sure if you've met me, but let me tell you. There's a lot. I'm rather clumsy and hot-headed.

Everyone was still talking when Ruby and I got up to clean up everyone's plates. Ruby and I knew well that if my dad had enough to drink and we cleaned the table, he'd slip us both a 20.

We had just finished cleaning up when I overheard my dad call to us, "Ruby, Nola, Isn't that right?"

"Is what right?" Ruby said, tilting her head. Her hair was pulled up in a clip and her waves hidden away.

"That the two of you sing like angels together?" Laurent spoke up. I expected mischief in his eyes but I saw them with genuine interest-bearing into Ruby.

Huh. 

I am having gumbo for dinner so this is all I can think about. I watched Les Mis four times this weekend. It's been a great 3 day weekend. 

Anyway! Vote! Comment! Message me if you're not a robot and you need a friend... Love Y'all!