SHRED SOME GNAR

Magnolia:

The evening came to a close early because we had an early start planned for the next day. Annie had already passed out in our room by the time Ruby and I came downstairs to get ready for bed.

"Your friends are... interesting," Ruby said quietly as she threw her white hair into a bun.

I cast a sideways glance at her, "What do you mean? I'm sorry if any of them were weird."

She shook her head softly as we both headed to the bathroom to wash our faces. "They are like, crazy rich ya know?"

I stilled for a moment tensing, "Yeah... I know," I paused trying to figure out what to say. "But they're still nice, right?"

She smiled as she began to wash her makeup off, her eyeliner bleeding out around her eyes, "Yes Nola- they all seemed nice for the most part... Laurent seemed to have a stick up his fashionable ass," I burst out laughing at that, "But I like Cassian and Ivy a lot. They are a cute couple and seem down-to-earth. India's a bad bitch. And obviously, you and Rowen are soulmates. I need to get to know everyone else before passing any judgment."

"Goddamn, I forgot how judgy we are together," I rinsed the facewash off my face.

She rolled her eyes visibly exasperated at me. Then, she seemed to pause before looking seriously into my eyes. "Magnolia, I really missed you, ya know that right?"

I smiled, laughing a bit as my face turned to beat red. Receiving compliments was not my strong suit- I got overwhelmed by the direct attention to me. And somehow, being on stage never gave me that nervousness.

Ruby was rarely serious- she was wild and full of life. She needed to cause chaos and rebellion, all while smiling at you with her angel eyes and white-blonde hair, but dressed like she wanted to fuck the world. She was a devil who looked like an angel back in a devil's clothing... if that made sense.

"I missed you too Ruby!" I laughed and pulled her into a hug. Her head reached below where my chin started. I was always jealous of her and her tiny waist, big chest, and short stature. But this girl could beat a bitch up, to say the least.

I finished washing my face and climbed into pajamas. I indeed did wear matching flannel Christmas pajamas thank you very much.

We climbed into bed quietly, trying not to wake Annie who slept on a cot we put into the room. Ruby and I shared a queen-sized bed. We lay in almost a fetal position, looking at each other.

"Are you ready to shred some gnar?" I said joking, trying to sound like your stereotypical stoner skier.

She laughed, her nose scrunching up as she did, "Hell. Yeah." She whispered back, Then she paused, "I love you."

"I love you too!" I said and then rolled over to the other side of the bed. "Goodnight!"

"Goodnight!" She responded, and then I swear she said something else, but sleep had already begun to pull me down into that dark abyss.

***

The sunlight crept in through the crack in our curtains, waking us up. Well, or maybe Annie jumping on our bed in utter excitement about skiing did the trick. Ya never know.

I groaned, stretching. I never was a morning person like she was.

"Time to get dressed in an insane amount of clothing," I grumbled and slid off the bed on my back like a snake. I am a rather odd child.

"I am so pumped, my ski outfits are epic this year!" Annie said excitedly while making a mess of our room with her clothing.

I rolled my eyes and started changing into a sports bra, and some black long underwear shirts and pants. I pulled my dark blue knee-high wool socks so they were over my long underwear pants, and decided I was dressed enough to wash my face and do my hair. I washed my face and put waterproof mascara on along with a ton of sunscreen. I was tanned over the summer, but let me tell you, I am very very fair in the winter, and the snow reflects the light like nobody's business so sunscreen is a must. Also, I don't want wrinkles! Hard pass!

My hair is super thick, so if I just let it down while I skied or even a low ponytail, I would be picking knots out of my hair for months. So, instead, I braided my hair into two long blonde braids.

When I walked back into the bedroom, Annie and Ruby were already putting on their ski pants. Normally we just put our pants on before breakfast, and then came back downstairs and put on the rest of our snow gear.

Annie had on a teal super warm long underwear top, and she had her yellow bibs on. Ruby was putting her sort of curly white-blonde hair into two low buns right behind each of her ears. Hopefully, they didn't hurt her with her helmet. She had black pants on, and she already wore her patterned Patagonia pullover fleece.

"Let's go and get breakfast!" I said as I led the little herd of children upstairs. David and Rose joined in as we marched upstairs to the kitchen.

I ate oatmeal and drank twice my serving of hot chocolate while laughing with everyone. Then we headed back downstairs to finish getting ready for the day.

I wore white pants, a black Patagonia, and a retro-looking hot pink, orange and yellow jacket. I couldn't help myself- I liked a little flare on the mountain. I grabbed my pink balaclava and shoved it in my pocket before putting on a beanie and my snow boots. My leather ski mittens were also thrust into my pockets.

When we got there, we'd put on all our boots, helmets, and other gear.

Annie had a white jacket and her yellow legs stood out as she pulled on her camelback filled with things she'd need in an avalanche. Ruby had a dusty blue-colored jacket, and she also put all her gear in her pockets before putting her snowshoes on.

"Alright time to load up the car, we'll meet everyone at the lodge to put our skis on!" My mom called as we piled in.

As we drove towards the lodge I was tempted to scream in excitement at the snow falling down.

Fresh powder. 

Hey, Y'all!! sorry, it has been forever!! So, funny story, I actually got super injured when I was skiing. So that originally delayed my writing for a month or two and then it just snowballed for like 5 months. I am going to get back to it though! Sorry! Love y'all!