Chapter TwentyTwo

Start from the beginning

"Dove Amor, seen her?" Sir Walters voice turns serious and almost murderous. My heart stops beating, making it almost impossible for me to draw in a breath. Sage moves his finger over the trigger, the veins in his hands pulsing as his grip becomes tighter.

It's silent for a minute. Everyone from Lawless now knows that I'm a Class citizen, or was, and the level of danger I'm in has now increased tenfold.

I watch Serge; his face remains stoic. Everybody else within the room keeps a neutral face, giving nothing away.

My ears begin to ring and my hands shake as I wait to see if Serge is going to give me away or not.

I hold my breath when he opens his mouth. "Never heard of her" Serge states, crossing his arms. I'm unable to let the relief take over just yet though.

Sir Walter grunts, unpleased. "She's somewhere in Lawless, let us know if you see her" he says as he stands up, his chair screeching along the floor.

Serge says nothing and stands up too. I watch as Sir Walter looks around, Jace, Dad and Max stand behind him, looking around as well.

Suddenly Sir Walters eyes land on Sage; he smirks before walking up to him, getting in his face. I stiffen as I watch Sage's hand once again flex on the gun behind his back.

There's a moment of silence as they hold eye contact, Sage stands tall over Sir Walter, inches taller and buffer then both him and Jace.

"Sage Creed" Sir Walter growls, a look of disgust on his face as he eyes him up and down, Sage keeps eye contact, not allowing any emotion to be shown on his face. "I'll shoot you right between your eyes the next time you cross onto Class property, got it?" Sir Walter threatens, Jace, Dad and Max flank behind him.

I slink back behind the wall further as I become more visible to Sir Walter.

Sage says nothing but holds eye contact. I see Gabe next to Sage withdraw his gun too, keeping it behind his back.

"Get the fuck out!" Serge's voice booms behind Sir Walter. The two of them hold eye contact for a second longer before Sir Walter pushes past Sage. They gather at the front door, Serge's men gathering around Sir Walter's men.

I jump out of my skin as hands wrap around my forearm. I silently gasp and spin around; Ivy's face appears before me. I don't get the chance to say anything before she's dragging me back to her room.

I hear the front door slam shut as I enter Ivy's room. I take notice of Lily and Rose sleeping on Ivy's unmade bed, their mouths slightly agape.

I rush to the window that faces the front yard; I do my best to leave the curtains untouched as I look out. I watch as Serge's men escort Sir Walter and his entourage from the property and make sure they get back to Class.

Feet thunder up the staircase, I feel the colour in my face physically drain at the realisation that everybody within the house now knows I'm from Class. The rushed steps pass Ivy's bedroom and I hear both wooden doors of Sage's bedroom slam into the wall.

"Dove!" Sage shouts, the volume of it waking the girls and making them cry again. Ivy is closest to the door so she opens it and sticks her head out.

"She's in here, Rage" she calls, his boots slap the floor. He throws the door open, his eyes scanning the room before he finds me. He nods his head towards his room and I quickly make my way to him knowing he's probably one of the only person I can trust within the house.

"Rage!" Serge's voice rings throughout the house from downstairs, his voice very clearly angry. Tears begin to form in my eyes as Sage grabs at my waist and guides me to his room.

A sob bursts out of my mouth unwilling. Sage pushes me into his room, his lack of emotion making me feel worse.

"Lock the door" he says as he turns on his heel and heads downstairs. I do as he says and begin to pace the room. The anxiety crawling up my throat and making it hard for me to breathe.

"What the fuck were you thinking?" Serge's voice bellows. I flinch and the tears fall further as the guilt eats at me knowing Sage is taking the fall for me.

I don't hear Sage's reply before Serge starts shouting again.

"Out of everyone, you had to pick Jace Hunt's fiancée?" he yells. The clear sound of a fist going through a wall is heard. I'm almost certain it's Sage as he has a habit of punching walls when he's upset.

"She needs to go, get her out now!" Serge says. I faintly hear Sage's response.

"She's staying here" Sage replies calmly.

"Get her out!" Serge completely loses it, setting off Sage.

"She's staying right fucking here!" Sage's deep voice rattles the walls. There's a bang and a ruckus as the sound of a physical fight breaks out.

The tight feeling in my chest increases and sends me spiralling, choking on my tears. Yell's echo from downstairs, the men trying to break up the fight.

I open the door and race down the staircase, tripping on the last three steps sending me landing on my hands and knees. Ivy's not far behind me as she helps me up.

We both run into the lounge room just in time to see Serge throw a punch at Sage's face. A shrill scream escapes my throat as Sage falls back into the wall.

"Serge!" Ivy screams, making her way to him. Gunner interferes before she can reach him, throwing her over his shoulder as she screams and kicks.

"I'll do it my fucking self!" Serge yells at Sage and starts to make his way to me. I back up; contemplating running and hiding in Sage's room.

"Don't you fucking dare" Sage says dangerously calm as he starts for Serge. I'm barely able to see as the tears clog my vision, my legs shake beneath me.

No one has time to react as Sage throws a punch at Serge, sending the older man to the floor. Ivy's voice screams in the background and Gunner's voice is faintly heard attempting to calm both Ivy and Sage.

Sage stands over Serge as he struggles to stand "she's staying here" Sage says calmly, his voice menacing. Serge watches on, his face angry but he says nothing.

Sage waits for a reply but doesn't get one before making his way to me. He takes hold of my forearm and pulls me along. We leave everybody in silence and make our way to the staircase.

My legs feel like jelly, making it hard to keep up with Sage's fast pace, the bruises on my knees from my fall becoming apparent.

Sage turns and lifts me, arms under my legs and back as we go up the stairs. I watch his side profile and notice the blood coming from his forehead and lip, his left eye beginning to swell. His knuckles are scrapped up, bloody and bruised. Notifying me he had been hit more than once.

I take my hand and run my finger gently under his eye; he continues facing forward not giving me any emotion. We make it to the bedroom and he rests me on the bed, almost collapsing on top of me, his forehead leaning upon my shoulder and I run my hands through his hair.

"I'm sorry" I whisper into his ear. He says nothing, only shakes his head.