Chapter 25

Y/N's point of view:

„ ... and that one is from a person who bit me.", Ford continued, pointing at his ankle.
„And what about that one?", I asked looking closely at his leg.
„Oh, that's just a mosquito bite that I've scratched up too often."
I laughed.

We both sighed at the same time which caused us to chuckle again. I then yawned. I just now noticed how tired I actually was.

„You should probably head to bed.", Ford smiled.
I nodded but then added something. „Only if you promise that you're going to sleep now too."
I don't know if he ever actually sleeps. And if so, for how long. I have a feeling he spends more time on his research than on anything else.

He slightly tilted his head and nodded. „Alright, alright. I promise."
I smiled and said good night.

*timescip*

Stanford's point of view :

I woke up with a mild headache. I groaned and looked at the clock. It was eight am. I haven't slept this long for a really long time now. I stood up and stretched my back, which cracked. Another groan and I approached the stairs.
I wonder if Y/N is up yet..

I walked through the vending machine and stopped in front of the kitchen. Y/N was indeed up yet. She was sitting at the kitchen-table with her phone in her hand and a plate full of pancakes in the middle of the table.
But she looked stressed out. Her hand rested on her forehead and she had teary eyes.
I stayed where I was. She didn't notice me yet, I think.
Should I just ask her straight away?

I slowly walked towards her. She widened her eyes in shock and quickly wiped her eyes to smile at me.
„Good Morning.", she said.
„Good Morning. Did you sleep well?", I asked.
Her smile widened a bit, and looked at least real now. „I did. I hope you kept your promise, though."
„Of course I did. I slept like I haven't in decades."
„That's nice to hear. Want some pancakes?"
I nodded.

We began to eat our pancakes.
„Were you waiting for me?", I asked, after I swallowed a bite.
„Not for long, though.", she smiled again.

„Y/N... I was meaning to ask you... if everything is alright? You seemed rather unhappy as I entered."
„Oh! No, it's nothing. It's... complicated."
„I'm sure we can find a solution.", I replied.

Y/N looked up to me and her expression didn't change much. Her eyes just traced slowly down. She was clearly thinking something.
„So?", I repeated carefully.
„It's just... my parents they...", she began and then sighed. „They're being really stressful right now."

She rubbed her eyes and I let her continue.
„They want me to come back and start my life with an important job. They're thinking that I'm here for vacation, which isn't fully wrong but... I'm here because I want to make this my job. But they just don't seem to get that."

I nodded. „So what do you think you'll do now?"
„I don't know. Maybe I should just listen to them. I mean, maybe they're right and this just isn't the Right thing for me to do. Maybe everything they told me was true. Perhaps I'll never become a paranormal investigator. Or perhaps I really am just a disappointment to the whole family. Ugh, I should have probably never-"
I interrupted her by slamming my hands onto the table and standing up. She got startled and winced a bit.

"I'm sorry-", I began. "But I must disagree with everything you just said. Y/N, if you think this is the right thing to do, then do it, for gods sake. Your parents don't know shit about parenting if they think you shouldn't do something you love. And do never think of yourself as a disappointment. Because you are definitely not. You are worth so much more. Perhaps your parents are just too brainless to see your potential. They must be fools if they think you can't reach your goal."