Chapter Fifteen

Tracy you have to do as we said .
We are your parents and our decisions is family.
Her mother walked into her bedroom early morning, sit on the bed beside her. to digest the proposition with her.
Your great grandfather and you grandfather were all doctors. Your father kept this as family treasure and value.
Your father wouldn't have  married me if I am not a doctor. We both are doctors.
We don't want any of our kids to diverse this profession to another sphere .
We want to raise our children to grow and become like us.
And, you know your father very well. If you  disobey his orders, he would.....
'He would what mom' Tracy interrupted her. ' He would disown me or ceased being my father?"

Why is it so difficult for you to accept our decision?
Why are hellbert, do adamant.
What if perhaps, you want to do your own business and eventually things didn't go the way you planned it?
What if you start the business and you fail? What if you lost all your capitals and investment, would you come to him, crying like a 3 years old baby. Seeking for financial support?
Do you have any idea how businesses survived,
and, iijhow and what successful business owners gone through to get to where they are/ were
Do you have any idea the setbacks and obstacles.
Why do you want to become a spoilt brat.
See all your father wishes for you guys is to have a stable and permanent job.
Which covers insurance and you can rely on it.
You father and I have decided you go to the university and read medicine.
No disobeying.
You have to comply.
You are not ready Economics or mathematics.
See you brother and your little sister.
Ain't you proud of them.
We are proud of them.

Really mom! Said Tracy
See, I just want you and your father to be at the same page honey. I don't want any difference between you two.

Mom,why is it so hard for you guys to understand me, why are you so hard on me?

We are not hard on you.
When you see us being hard on you, we see what's best for you honey.
We have decided and that is finally.
Her mother said and shut the door without waiting to hear whatever she has to say.

Tracy walked out of her room to the garden where her father was busy watering plants. She looked vexed and sullen.
Dad I want to talk to you.
I'm busy, can't it wait. Let me finish with the last plant honey. Her father said.
She waited for her dad to finish watering.
What is it?

Dad mom came lecturing me about going to medical school. Why is so difficult for you both to accept my decision.
Why is that, what I want doesn't count in this family?
I don't want to become a doctor and I will not let you both compelled me against my wished. I won't succumb to your decision.
I don't want to chase ambulances for the rest of my life.
And, Dad, you know I can not stand the sight of blood. I can't even Imagine seeing a dead body. No! no! no!

Listen honey! Listen up honey!
Her dad said putting his hand around her shoulders. Tapping her slowly.
All we want is for you to bear the doctor title just like me, your mother, your brother and your sister. Just like my grandfather, even my great grandfather and my father.
We just want to maintain this in the family.

'Yeah!  yeah!   yeah!  Same lectures I received from mom awhile ago, family genealogy, whatever'. Tracy said.

You don't necessarily have to work in the hospital. You can choose not to work there. Or work there.
You can study pharmacy and become pharmacist honey, with that you can avoid the "sight of blood, and dead body"
Her father said mimicking her

You know, when I was at your age, he continues, I  wanted to become a footballer.
My dream was to become the best footballer of our time.
Whenever I came back from school, I'd just undressed, eat and off to the park to play. We used to have some park around the neighborhood, and I was the captain. I will abandoned my homework and go to the park to play football. And when  my father returned back from work, and I wasn't home and didn't do my homework, he would bring my homework books to the park. And, asked my friends whether they have finished doing their homework before coming over, to play or not.
And, as expected, their answer would be YES!
They have their home homeworks done. And I haven't.
Yeah! You know, as a  captain, you don't have to be late.
They both laughed.

My dad would then pull my ear and drag me from the park all the way home. And my mother would be so mad at him for that.
I thought I would make something out of that little soccer until I finished college and, he said I should become a doctor like him.
Just as we want you guys to.
and I don't have a choice.
Because he is my father and I must obey whatever he says.
Here I am today, I'm enjoying the decision he took for me several years ago. And you my children are proud to have me as a father, you know.
We don't always have our way sweetheart. Sometimes it is hard to let go of certain decisions and choices.   Because at the moment, we cherish and value them so much.
So it would be hard for us to let go, but when we gather courage and finally let go, we would eventually enjoy the freedom that comes aftermath, thus, when we let go with a good reason. Definitely going to be worth it.

But I kept holding on until one day told myself I have to stop deceiving myself because I my father would never let me have my way. So I have no other option than to become the doctor he wished for.
And you should too honey.
Her father said.