nine

"Rafe, I think i'm gonna fa-" I exclaimed as I was trying to balance myself. A sudden small wave hit me till I fell off my board. "Y/n!" He ran and pulled me to the shore while I was choking on water. "Are you okay?" He asked with a tone of worry. "I'm fine, Rafe." I laughed, coughing out water. He still staring at me like I was about to die. "Its just a small wave anyways. I don't think surfing is my thing." I shook my head. "Meh, practice makes perfect." He shrugged. "Go surf." I smiled. "Are you sure ?" he asked. "Yes surfer boy. I'm gonna watch you from here." I nod. He grabbed his board and ride the waves.

"Woohoo! Go Rafe !" I cheered for him. Suddenly, a familiar voice appeared from my back. "Y/n." I turn around as I heard my name. It's JJ. I quickly grab a towel and wrap myself. "You know you don't have to hide them from me." He sighed. "What do you want, JJ?" I asked him. "I just wanted to-" He said but get cut by Rafe who just came out from the water. "Don't even think about it, Maybanks." Rafe grabbed me by the waists and put me behind him. "I just wanna talk to her, bro." JJ sighed "Not the time. Can't you see we're in the middle of something?" Rafe said, approaching JJ. JJ being JJ did not want to lose, so he came forward too. "What? She's your new toy now?" JJ smirked. "Ya'll, we're in public." I said, looking at the both staring at each other. "I swear if you call her that one more time-" Rafe said, inhaling his breath. "What? Aren't you a pro at that? Using people?" JJ smirked.Without hesitation, Rafe threw a punch at JJ. They started to fight and eyes were all on us. "Guys stop." I said, tried to break them up but it did not worked.

"JJ get off him." I exclaimed to JJ who is on top of Rafe, busting his face. Then, it changed. Rafe grabbed JJ by the collar and made them both stand up. "Rafe what the fuck? Stop it!" I yelled but they didn't stop. I was tired of it. A crowd were slowly forming at the beach, watching, recording them fighting. I get between them and push them off each other. "Jesus! Fucking stop it already!" I exclaimed. Both of their eyes were on me. "You guys are acting like children for fuck sake. I am right here and none of you even respect that." I exclaimed at both of their faces and storm off. I looked at the crowd. "What are you looking at? There's nothing to watch here. Get lost." I yelled at them.

"Hey." i heard a soft knock and Rafe came in. "Hey." I said, not looking at him. "Y/n." He said with a soft tone, sitting beside me. I ignored him. He snatched my phone. "What the heck, Rafe?" I exclaimed. "Hear me out, please." He begged. I sighed and nod.

"I am so sorry, about what happened this morning. I just don't like JJ treating you like that. Yes, I hooked up with a lot of girls back then. But you have to believe me, y/n. I have changed. You are just different and I don't want you to get hurt. I care about you." He explained. "He just wanted to talk, Rafe." I shrugged. I took a deep breath before I continue talking. "I know, Rafe. I know that you care about me but I need to make my own choices. My own decisions. You should care about yourself more, Cameron." I said, resting my head on the bed frame. "No, you don't understand. I'm like crazy care about you, y/n" He shook his head. "What do you mean?" I started to pay attention to him.

"That wasn't just a kiss, kiss y/n. I like you." he said, flashing me a soft smile.

There is it. I was on full mode speechless. "y/n?" he casually waved his hand in front of me. "I-i. what? why? how?" I shook my head. "Is it wrong?" He looked at me. "N-no. no of course not. um i mean-" I stuttered as i get off from the bed walking towards the door. As you can see, I never really date people. In fact, i never even dated ! "Y/n are you okay?" Rafe looking at with a raised brow. "I'm gonna go." I said, leaving Rafe who is clueless as i shut the door.

"I'm so sorry, Rafe." i whispered under my breath as I leaned onto the door.

I decided to go to the town. "Y/n..." I bumped into Sarah as I jog down the stairs. "Hey-"I said, acting cool. I can't just say that I kissed her brother and her brother confessed his feelings to me. "Are you okay? You look like you just seen a ghost." Sarah grabbed both my shoulders. I kept silent. "Did Rafe do anything to you?" She asked, staring into my soul. "No-no. All are fine. I just need to go sort something out." I said, getting out from her grip. "I'm gonna be back before dinner." I said as I shut the door behind me.

I decided to go out, sort my mind hopefully. "Why did I left Rafe behind? I shouldn't have done that." I thought. "But I panicked? He will understand that right?" I thought again as I parked my bicycle in front of Heyward's. "Hey there y/n. Grabbing more stuff to cook?" Heyward greeted me as I stepped into his shop. "Nah, just grabbing myself something to drink." I shook my head, grabbing a soda from the fridge at the back. I walk towards the counter to pay. "Penny for a thought?" Heyward asked as I gave him the money. "I don't know. I am just very confuse right now." I said, leaning onto the counter. "Whatever it is, I bet you'll handle it just fine." Heyward said, giving me an assuring smile. "Thanks. Good day, sir." I smiled at the old man.

After making a quick stop at Heyward's, I decided to continue my ride around the town. While I was cycling pass some houses, I heard a loud ass gunshot at the end of the road. "Oh fuck." I muttered to myself. I wasn't even thinking about my safety, I kept cycling to the end of the road. Curious on what noise I heard seconds ago.

The road ended and the last house was a white house on my left. I tilted my head and saw a familiar young man on the ground and another man pointing a gun at him. As I look closer, I recognized the guy who is on the ground.

"JJ?" I whispered to myself didn't want to cause another shooting.

First cliffhanger of the book. I hope ya'll are starting to get the thrill.

-chyn