c22: deciding

❝What good are
wings without
the courage to fly?❞

22

DECIDING
決定する

DECIDING決定する

. . .

Tick, tack, tock, the clock on the wall filled the silence in my living room.

My head was filled with thoughts about how the five of us connected weirdly. Penelope liked Noah, Noah dated Emily, Emily dated Blake and Blake cheated with me.

The thoughts overwhelmed me, so I got up to get a glass of water. Noah… hid so much from me for no reason I knew of. I was perplexed. I couldn’t come up with a logical reason for why I wouldn’t be told. Did he care about my thoughts of Emily to the limit he hid her spite to me? Did she deep down still hate me? Does he even genuinely care about me?

I believed I was finally ready to give Blake an answer under the light of my last realisations. Many of my perceptions changed, and I learnt a lot of things that were going behind my back. I only needed time to process everything together. After all, Blake turned out not to be the only liar among those people.

I lit a cigarette and unlocked my phone to dial a number I didn’t think I would dial that fast.

“Cass! I’m so glad you finally called.”

I blew a whiff, bracing myself for his reaction. “Did Emily tell you she is going to therapy sessions?”

There was a second of silence. “What… are you talking about?”

I laughed. “Come over.”

\

Blake was at my flat in less than ten minutes.

He was sitting opposite of me as we both smoked in eerie silence, weighing our words. I had already told him all he needed to know about Emily, minus the parts about me and my friend, and he was stunned.

“Turns out you’re not the biggest liar, Blake.” I killed my cigarette with a mocking smirk.

He rolled his eyes. “I’ve had enough of this, please. I learnt my lesson. I’ll get some beer. I need it so much.”

I shook my head sideways. “No alcohol tonight. We have a lot to go over.”

He held his head in his hands. “Cassandra, I can’t believe she hid this.”

Well, I could believe. Behind that creepy smile of hers was a lot of untold secrets. I always felt she wasn’t completely normal.

I laughed. “How does it feel like to have a taste from your own medicine?”

He looked into my eyes, frowning. “Horrible. I’m sorry I put you through that.”

By that limit, I started to believe Blake was genuinely apologetic, even though he willingly made the mistake. Or unwillingly as one couldn’t control what they felt. I was starting to sympathise with him, and I didn’t like it. It was evident in his every move how the news about Emily made him extremely self-conscious and more sincere about his feelings. His eyes turned glossy and almost transparent, granting me a look into his scarred soul.

“This is just more reason for me to leave her. She shouldn’t hide something like this,” he reasoned.

“Oh, c’mon. You’re the last to talk about hiding.”

I looked back at him with a toothy smirk. I got up from the sofa and walked over to him. When I was right in front of his sitting figure, I held his chin up. His face looked darker as if he couldn’t breathe, probably from the many cigarettes we had just had. His eyes were puffier, and his lips looked plumper and darker, but the piercing helped add a little shine to them.

As sinful as it was, I tested a kiss on Blake’s pierced lips. Or maybe not that sinful since he claimed he was going to break up with her. The guy was almost not responding. I bit his lip and made sure it hurt, and only then his arms snaked around my waist and pulled me in his lap. His lips caressed mine, and his tongue glided against my gaped lips.

I pulled away, held his chin, and looked at my artwork. “Just giving you a little more trouble of a hickey, so you leave her faster,” I talked about his lip. I snickered.

The guy held my cheeks as if I had just thrown a romantic comment. “Cassandra, I don’t think I can do without you. Stay with me, please.” He breathed heavily and hugged my waist.

After seconds to comprehend his last statement, I hugged him, running my shaky fingers through his soft black strands. A sense of relief washed over my body, making me relax and exhale a breath I didn’t notice I was holding.

“I… I can’t too.”

Why did I say it? I never knew, but I felt the need to. Did I mean it? I didn’t care—I just wanted to be with him. He made me happier than I ever was for a few years no matter how I tried to deny it despite his huge mistake. I was ready to open a fresh page.

He let me go, holding my waist tightly as if I would vanish if he left me. We stayed stuck to each other, and I loved the feeling. Loved the heat that was seeping from him to my heart, engraving his name on it.

Frustration built up in my veins, making me edgy and impulsive. I needed to do something to vent up my confusion, to assure myself everything was legitimate, so I kissed him again, so hard my whole body moved with it.

He didn’t waste a moment to press me closer against his chest. A small flame was growing bigger in my stomach with each kiss I gave him, one that fed off my unstable heartbeats and overflowing emotions.

That man was driving me crazy without even trying to. At that moment, I felt as though I owned the world with my new realisations.

. . .

i have 2 things to say:

first of all, thank you for the support in this book. it's very close to 1k reads :) every reader is highly appreciated and recognised. i am happy with what i have!

second, i have published another book. it will not affect updates here since it's a completed draft. it's called The Aristocrat's Daughter. check it out! remember it's mature, however.

thank you all again for the support!

vote, comment and share! ☆