c17: facing

❝It was never the way she looked
always the way she was.
I would have fallen in love with her
with my eyes closed.❞

17

FACING
向かい

FACING 向かい

. . .

I never broke a limb or a bone in my life.

I would get injured from time to time, but never something too serious. If it was, I would abandon it to heal on its own, so that’s why I had a few scars scattered on my body. The sight of Noah sitting opposite of me and cleaning my wounds was foreign, and he was doing it dedicatedly.

“Ow,” I hissed.

“Sorry, babe.” He blew on it. “But it needs to be cleaned.”

I nodded submissively.

“Dang though, I leave you for less than a day, and this happens to you. Is it because of the way I treated you? Sorry, I didn’t—”

“Turns out Blake’s dating Emily, but he has been cheating on her with me,” I blurted with a straight face. I was numb to both the emotional and physical pain by that limit.

“Huh?” His lips wrenched unpleasantly. “Yikes. Not a nice joke, or whatever you call it, Cassandra.”

My response was silent tears sliding down my cheeks and eventually fell on our hands. Noah held my cheeks, wiped them and made me look into his eyes.

“Fuck, seriously? I know this hurts, but please, don’t. You’re strong, and we’ll work together to fix this. I promise I’m here all the time you need. Don’t cry for douches,” he assured me.

I nodded weakly. “He’s at Emily’s now. Having lunch together. Almost stumbled by him when I stormed inside,” I added.

He got up and ran his fingers through his hair. “What—how dare he?”

Noah tried to leave the flat, and I knew damn well where he was heading.

“Noah, please. I know you care for Emily a lot, but you just said we’ll fix this together. Don’t act impulsively, please.”

He glared. “For heaven’s sake, Cass, this is not just about Emily! She’s not the only person I care for. I care for you too, please!”

I pulled him closer to me. “Alright! He doesn’t know you are her ex yet. Can we please take advantage of that?”

\

I was back to being a thrown corpse on my bed.

Noah insisted to come with me to my place and stay at least for the night for both our sanities. Me, who needed company, and him, who needed to stay as far as possible from Emily and her boyfriend because he didn’t want to go to jail that night.