Chapter 3

_________________________

_____________

______________________________________________

Reign White
________________________

"Here you go, sweetie! Visit again!" I handed a small candy to the little girl, as she kissed my cheek."Thank you, big sister."

Her parents gave us a helpless smile, and the small family walked out of the restaurant. As I looked at them walk away, the girl holding her parents hands as the father kissed her forehead, a wave of nostalgia hit me. I missed the times I had a small family. Richard and Delilah might be my adoptive parents, but I loved and respected them just like my blood family.

She turned and waved at me, as I waved back, turning towards Olivia, the manager of Alaric's, our restaurant.

"The registers at the reception and the cash counter have already been upgraded, no signs of the previous blunder." She informed, as I nodded.

This mistake in the registers had ruined our morning, stressing both River and I out. He had gone to our head chef, Randy, to look for something to eat as his, and I quote, 'remuneration'.

"What about last week's reviews?" I asked her, as she flipped through her notes.

"Positive. Of course, except the lady with the peanut allergy. She created a huge racket in here, and on the internet. Like, 'oh my God, forgive us, we didn't mention the existence of peanuts in our PB&J cupcakes.' " Olivia replied sarcastically, and I chuckled.

"You've worked hard, remind me to treat you one day." I said, and she nodded at me with an exasperated expression.

"That'll be much appreciated, boss! Gotta go!" She said and hurried towards the kitchen, then stopped midway.

"By the way, the gentleman in the lounge is still waiting. You gonna do something about that, boss?" She reminded me, and I finally recalled my biological father, Nicholas Cavanaugh.

"I'll check it out, thank you, Olivia." I replied and walked towards the lounge.

Business at both Ainsley's and Alaric's had been going well, much to River's happiness, as he found doing this very interesting (even though I was doing most of the work).

When he had proposed the idea of starting our own businesses, I had found this idea quite boring and
time-consuming, but now looking at the blooming business and the money we made, without the help of the Council, I felt oddly satisfied and happy.

I walked into the lounge and saw a man in his late forties sitting on the couch, reading one of the magazines kept on the table.

He looked a lot like River, with the black hair and similar sharp features, along with the green eyes both River and I, as well as more than half of the Cavanaughs shared.

"Ah, good afternoon, Mr. Cavanaugh." I greeted, the small smile still on my face.

He lifted his head and looked at me, almost dropping the magazine as he stood up.

"Good afternoon, Reign, it's a pleasure to meet you." He replied as he held out his hand.

"River will be here any minute, Mr. Cavanaugh, and we're ready to go. And I apologise for the inconvenience we've caused you." I said, as I shook his hand.

"Not a problem, Reign, it sho........" He said, as River barged into the lounge.

"I must say, Reign, Randy's San Jacobos are delicious. He even packed some for me. Want some?" He said, holding up his bag, but as soon as he noticed our father standing in front of me, his eyes turned cold.

"Look who's here! If it isn't our dear father. How long has it been? Let me guess, forever?" He asked mockingly, and I took a deep breath. He better control his temper, or the results won't be pretty.

Nicholas looked at both of us and sighed.

"Why don't we talk about it the car? I'm sure there are a few things we need to talk about." He said, as River and I shrugged, gesturing him to go ahead.

As soon as we pulled out from the parking lot, he glanced at us through the rearview mirror, and finally broke the silence.

"Indeed, it was due to my negligence that I was unaware about your existence, and I am extremely regretful. I am really sorry." He said sincerely, and when he saw none of us was going to interrupt, he continued,
"You guys have lived away from your real family, and I plan to make it up to you."

I glanced at River, and saw that he had clenched his jaw and balled up his fists, I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.

You have no plans of actually getting close to the Cavanaughs, no plans of staying with them after the Mafia Ball, so, Reign, ignore it, just pretend. You can't afford the consequences. I told myself and inwardly nodded my head.

"And of course, I don't expect you to accept me as your father right away, but I hope we can start off as friends. Can we?" He added. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

He cares? He actually cares? Why?

"If you want to blame someone, blame your twin, Reign, it is all his fault, isn't it? You're doing all of this because of him, right? If it wasn't for River, would you be doing this? Blame my son, Reign." Her voice echoed throughout the room, as the gun, too big for my hands, slipped from my grip and fell down on the floor.

My hands shook, as I subconsciously shook my head.

Don't let her get to you, Reign.
Believe in your judgement.
Believe in your twin, Reign, please.
_______________________________

Hello, fellow readers!
Hope you enjoyed!

Thoughts?

Vote
Comment
Share!

–Book_vampire 2131.