Chapter Twenty: And You Shall Grieve Again

In the early morning, Ataraxia was mostly quiet. Igneous sat down at the center island, hanging his legs off the side. He stared down at the waters below as he rocked his legs back and forth.

The memories returned. The fire, the agony, the fury that had absorbed him for only a few fleeting moments. In an attempt to fight the thoughts back, he hung his head back and closed his eyes shut. He stared into the voids of his eyelids, hoping that it would be enough to forget... Just for a few moments.

Hopefully it would be enough to brave the heaviness again.

A sudden, light tap greeted his shoulder, startling him for a fraction of a second. Igneous opened his eyes and looked back at the offender. He found Quartz, who was now stepping back to give the smaller Magnorite space. Igneous felt his lips quiver as he gazed upon Quartz, seeing a look of fear upon the other's face. The smaller Magnorite shut his eyes as the thoughts tried to fight their way back into his mind.

"Igneous?" Quartz asked, coming closer now. "I--I know you're not alright currently, do you want to talk about it?"

The smaller Magnorite's eyes tore open. "No..." His voice shook, trying his best to not scream in rage. "Talking about it just invites it back to torment me! Senn is dead and talking will not change that."

Quartz shivered slightly, stepping back. He looked down at the ground, eying the blades of grass as they seemed to mirror him in the wind. Composing himself, he stepped forth and put a hand on Igneous' shoulder.

"It is better to deal with this now before it grows out of control."

Igneous felt a slight hiss escape him as he looked down. A sob escaped him as he tried to speak clearly. "We were friends for years and then he... He just. He was snuffed out, like that." He held out his hands and stared at them as if he was ablaze again. Those hands rejoined his eyes as he broke down into almost incomprehensible sobbing.

Quartz sighed and scooped Igneous into a hug. Tears oozed down Quartz' back slowly as Igneous placed his head behind Quartz' shoulder. The two of them stood embraced for a few moments more.

Igneous recalled how he had felt about Quartz before. The tragedy had made him realize how much Quartz had truly cared for him.

And how much he reciprocated those thoughts as well.

"I love you, Quartz." Igneous managed to say. He wished it wasn't the tragedy that had brought him to this conclusion. A sob exploded from his throat as he imagined Senn watching them embracing and congratulating them.

"I'm so happy for you." The manifestation spoke, putting a hand on his shoulder, but it disappeared as soon as the words were spoken. Igneous struggled against the terror and pain again but it took his ability to speak again.

"It's okay Igneous, it's okay." Quartz said, patting Igneous on the back. He pulled back and stared at Igneous. "Would it be okay if I...?" Igneous nodded and Quartz nuzzled his face against Igneous' face.

"I just wish Senn was here. I love him too much... He can't be gone. No..." Igneous sobbed. "He was like a brother to me, Quartz. But... He's gone. I can't... I can't change that. But... Why do I feel like it's my fault?"

"It isn't, Igneous." Quartz said and he pulled back. He sat down, prompting Igneous to do the same. "The fault lies with those who killed him." He wrapped an arm around Igneous' neck and leaned close.

Igneous' lips quivered. "I cannot lose you too..." He said, shuddering at the thought.

Quartz looked at Igneous and tried his best to flash a soft smile. "I'll try my best to stay out of trouble then." He leaned in close and Igneous shivered a little before kissing Quartz. The albino Magnorite fell back and his markings glowed brightly. "Wow. Uh--"