2.11 Up Above (part two)

Start from the beginning

.

When everyone finished eating, Ai excused herself to help clean up. Yachi and a few of the guys who were willing volunteered to assist her. The second-year was about to leave the crowd in peace when Nekoma's captain, who was supposedly good at aggravating people in moderation, made a mistake.

"You should take a break once in a while, Chii," Kuroo unknowingly stepped on a landmine. Perhaps the envy from not being included in their earlier conversation had exploded.

"Yeah, Ai," Asahi added, carelessly pouring fuel to the flame. "You'll faint again."

The trash in her hands slipped and fell to the ground as she turned toward Akashi. Ai quietly sat back down in front of him onto the succulent grass. She could feel his fury, a hint of his hubristic other half showing through. The others who perceived his silent rage also kept their mouths shut.

The volleyball players, however, had no idea what was going on. They were stunned to see the normally confident and regal Ai become so humble and almost meek in the blink of an eye. Moreover, it was towards the person who was supposed to be her boyfriend, her equal.

"Ai. What do they mean?" His voice was chillingly cold in contrast to the hot summer temperature.

She heard Sugawara sigh and scold Asahi for his unintentional foolishness. "See what you did?" the vice-captain whisper-yelled.

Ai averted her eyes from his. She hadn't meant for him to find out this way. "I... fainted on the same day that we lost against Aoba Johsai at the Interhigh Preliminaries."

"Wait. Really, Chii?" Kuroo was as shocked as her boyfriend at hearing the truth, although Akashi didn't openly show it.

She bit her lip at the second use of her nickname while Rakuzan's captain held up a cold hand of dismissal to him. Ai tried to lighten the tension. "I wasn't coming down with an ailment or anything. I'm perfectly fine now."

Akashi's strong voice spoke to her and her only. "That was months ago. Why did you not tell me?"

She couldn't think of anything to say. "I didn't want you to worry..." The couple worried about each other enough as it were, especially since they were living so far apart.

Midorima sighed and came to her rescue. "I didn't tell you, either. I called her that day. However, she told me not to say anything."

"That was stupid of both of you," Aomine yawned.

"Dai-chan!" Momoi turned to her after scolding her childhood friend. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes. I'm sorry." She peeked up to meet his eyes.

"I expect no secrecy." He sounded harsh, but Ai knew that it was just because he was caught up in the moment. Then, Akashi's voice got more frigid as he addressed the other topic. "And, what did you call her?" The other Akashi wouldn't have had a shred of respect for the upperclassman, but he retained his composure.

"It's nothing, Seijuro. He's only an old friend." She feigned calmness. Mentally, however, Ai began to prepare for the worst, knowing things could escalate quickly. What if this was his last straw? Would he leave her? Her fingertips unconsciously touched the heart necklace she wore, perhaps for moral support.

Everyone except Kenma and the person in question was surprised.

"What do you mean, Ai-senpai?" Lev asked to clarify.

Daichi looked at her surprisedly as well.

"I knew him before I went to America. I've only recently connected the dots myself." She took Akashi's hand in hers and tugged at it, wondering if discussing this together alone would be better.
Did she make him jealous? But, being jealous meant acknowledging that the other person had a chance. That couldn't possibly be the case for the prideful emperor of all people, could it? Sure, Kuroo was fun and caring, but Akashi was the only one whom she thought of in that way.