Chapter 22- Camping

Kami and she found themselves sitting quietly in the sea of grass around a small fire. It was already night, and unlike any other day in which they would head back into the town once their training was finished, instead they camped out, somewhere further away from they had gone before.

She glanced around the area and admired how calm and peaceful it was. The breeze was light this time around and it was entrancing watching the endless sea of grass sway back and forth wherever the wind moved. To the outstretches of the plains, large mountains in the distance were plain visible even so late at night. The moons splendor shined down on them along with the brim-filled stars. Each one aiding and illuminating everything around them, melding with the darkness making it difficult for anyone, traveler or adventurer to get blinded in it. The fire only served as a source of comfort and warmth but she was sure it was not needed for anything else.

Kami shuffled meticulously around a pack he had drawn out from thin air. From it he pulled out a few things; some loaf of breads, a couple of canteen filled with what she believed was water but it could be something else and a number of smaller containers. She quietly stared for a while as he went about. The way he sat with his legs outstretched and the posture in which adamantly drew things out from his pack made her imagine a small boy scout who was out camping and was taking out his snacks after a long day of hiking.

She giggled at the thought which quickly brought Kami's attention.

"What?" he asked curiously frozen in place.

"Nothing." she cleared her throat and continued. "So, what exactly are we doing here?"

He lowered his eyes back towards the inside of his pack and started rummaging through the bag again as he spoke. "Elizabeth and I are going to come in contact with a few people we've been dealing with early tomorrow morning at the break of dawn."

"Could you not do that in the town?"

"No, these people are not...exactly the kind of people you want in town." that was all he said before drawing a close on the conversation.

People that you do not want in town, was he talking about nomads or the like; or perhaps something a bit more sinister?

"Elizabeth will be joining us soon?"

"Hopefully."

She frowned, the way he said that made her feel like he was growing tired of being alone with her.

"Can I ask something, Kami?"

"Have you not already?" he responded and chuckled.

"Do you really not know who you are?"

He glanced back locking his sight onto her. The way his eyes shifted ever so slightly suggested he was thinking about something but what that was she could not tell, it was a while but eventually he turned his body over and leaned in closer.

"Why are you so obsessed with what I was before?"

"Y-you were... are, an important being."

"I don't feel that way."

"It does not change the fact that you are the Creator."

"Even if I was, I told you I don't plan on being this Creator you talk about."

"But existence relies on ha-"

"Existence seems to be working just fine without this 'Creator'."

She bit her lip; this was not going anywhere.

"Okay, let's drop that for now."

He chuckled again. "For now?"

"Are you human now?"